Will small raised acne scars flatten over time?

I have 2 small, raised acne scars on my face - 1 is from 2 months ago, 1 from about a month ago. It may seem like a minor deal but my face is otherwise scarless and I want to keep it that way. Will small, raised acne scars flatten over time or should I use silicon sheets to make them not-raised?

Photos ideal, however...

If they are raised, silicone gel or sheeting can help. Also dilute steroid injections if they are hypertrophic scars. V Beam laser can also help. See a Plastics or Dermatologist. All the best, Dr Davin S. Lim. Brisbane. Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Intralesional Triamcinolone Helps Flatten Raised Scars

Photos would have been helpful. here. In general,  however, raised scars, whether hypertrophic or keloid, may flatten, particularly the former, following the injection of an anti-inflammatory agent, such as triamcinolone acetonide suspension. Your scars, if indeed they are truly scars and not residual acne bumps, are fairly new and may actually flatten on their own over the next few weeks. If after another month or so this proves not to be the case or should they enlarge, they may be treated with the triamcinolone as mentioned above. I am not much of a fan of the silicone sheeting, but I have no strenuous objection to their use; they may not help, but they don't hurt. Expensive lasers, in my experience, are more hype than science. In the meantime, it may be best to take a breath and let nature take its course. Best of luck.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Raised acne scars, will they get better?

I would try the sheets. I also like scar recovery complex from SkinMedica. If not improving, consider the VBeam or Excel V laser. Sometimes steroid injection can be helpful too.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Acne Scar Solutions with lasers, fillers, subcision and microneedling/prp

It is tough to answer this without pictures. Given your time-frame, they may still heal, but a combination approach may be needed to give improvement. For acne scars, I recommend lasers, microneedling/prp, subcision and fillers. See an expert in acne scarring for a formal evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer

CO2 or Microneedling

It is important to take care of these scars soon, as it is easier to treat them soon after they form.  You can try microneedling or a fractional CO2 laser.  Many patients experience great results after 2-3 sessions of CO2.  Good luck!

Farhan Taghizadeh, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

The answer is YES. Time always favors scars but maybe not as fast as you would like. I would make an appointment with a Plastic Surgeon and he may be able to inject the scar with a medication(steroid) that will help flatten the scar. It is tricky because it could leave a depression if treated too aggresively. Silicon sheets do help flatten scars but again it might be a very long process. A face to face opinion from a doctor would be the best right now. Good Luck!

Bruce K. Smith, MD

Acne Scar Treatment

Lasers are a great way to resurface the skin and reduce scars. More specifically, there are two lasers that do this exceptionally well. The Erbium laser is a state-of-the-art laser that resurfaces the skin and reduce scars in under an hour. The results are almost instant, and only about 3-4 days of downtime are required.

Another option is the CO2 laser. The CO2 laser penetrates the skin deeper than the Erbium; therefore, the results are a little better, but you would need about 7-10 days of downtime. Also, because this laser is more invasive, you do not need multiple treatments like the Erbium. 

A consultation with a board certified cosmetic plastic surgeon or a dermatologist would be the first step in treating your scars! If you only have a few spots that require treatment, then spot treatments of the scars can also be an option. 

Furthermore, I would highly recommend a high quality pharmaceutical grade skin care routine that contains ingredients that have been developed to treat acne on the face.

Hope this helps!

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon