Follow-up Question - What can I do about my ice pick scaring from acne as a young teen? (photos)

I'm 18 and these are better pictures of my ice pick scaring left from having acne majority of my teen years.

To see previous question, please click here.

Combination treatments recommended for acne scars

OK, firstly a good examination is needed. Once done, we categories your acne scars, and target them with lasers, micro needling RF devices, PRP, fillers, and in some cases even Botox (forehead scars). The video link below will explain everything in great detail. All the best, Dr Davin Lim

Brisbane Dermatologist

Ice Pick Scars and Treatment on Face

A combination of lasers such as eMatrix, Fraxel, and Microneedling with PRP and fillers such as Bellafill or Sculptra may be needed to treat your scars.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Scar on Face -- Lasers (Fraxel, Co2, Erbium), Microneedling/PRP, Subcision, Fillers, Tattooing

Scars can be treated with a combination of treatments including lasers, microneedling/PRP, tattooing, and good skin care. Ice pick scars are best treated with TCA Cross. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Answer to acne scarring

Acne scarring is not an easy condition to treat, but we have found that a series of 3 eMatrix treatments help to soften acne scarring and pitting. The treatment involves the administration of radio frequency heat that is delivered via tiny nodules that penetrate the skin. The end result is collagen and elastin stimulation which plumps up the depressed areas and lightens darkened spots.  We are seeing fractional laser type results without the same downtime. Good luck!

Jenny Weyler, MD
Worcester Physician

Acne scarring type 4 skin

I don't see any ice pick scarring but the pictures aren't the best. Ice pick scarring is best treated with TCA Cross and/or Infini. Infini also treats the other common acne scars. Deeper scars can be filled with Bellafill. Lasers can be used as well but come with the risk of hyperpigmentation. Other treatments include subcision and PRP. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

I recommend a combination of treatments performed during a single session that addresses all types of acne scars.

I recommend a combination of treatments that include tumescent anesthesia, subcision of rolling scars, a blending chemical peel or laser resurfacing, Fraxel Repair laser to acne scar areas and punch excision and suture of pitted acne scars.  With this combination of treatment, it is possible to obtain an average of 72% percentage improvement in a single treatment session with about one week of down time.  

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel is a laser skin rejuvenation treatment that resurfaces your outer skin, erasing imperfections. It also encourages the production of collagen, a protein found in connective tissue.The result is clearly visible lines, folds and wrinkles. Fraxel laser skin rejuvenation is a non-invasive technique that affects only about 20 percent of the facial skin exposed to it. The most common side effects of Fraxel laser treatment are swelling and skin redness, which should subside within a couple of days. Other temporary side effects may include minor itching, dry skin, peeling or flaking, and a bronzed skin appearance. The risk of infection or scarring is very limited. You should stay out of the sun 2-4 weeks.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

​Ice pick scars as young teen in what can I do about them.

Ice pick scars are more in the superficial layers of the skin and does require more resurfacing & surface techniques in order to improve the scars. Also your other discolored scars would likely improve a lot better with laser resurfacing as well. The ice pick scars require special techniques using older methods and other modalities like the lasers. You can't just treat this like a normal resurfacing.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon