What can I do to improve the looks of my lumpy legs? They just look terrible and depress me greatly. Gym does not help (Photo)

I want my legs to look better. I work outside (sailing instructor/Stand Up Paddle Board/kayak tours) go to the gym but my leg just look terrible. I had lipo a few years ago and they actually looked worse after the procedure. One Doctor I sent photos to said this is lymphedema or cellulitis and if that's true is there a surgical procedure that would help smooth out my legs? Thank you.

Lumpy Legs After Liposuction

The lumps you have in your legs after liposuction are referred to as contour irregularities.  This can be due to uneven removal of fat with liposuction that appears as depressions at the surface of the skin; this can also be due to loose skin that never fully tightened up after the underlying fat was removed.  When there are contour irregularities with no loose skin, the depressed areas can be smoothed out with fat equalization using the SAFE liposuction technique +/- fat transfer depending on whether additional fat is needed to add volume to certain depressed areas.  If there is loose skin associated with the contour irregularities, a medial thigh lift with removal of the excess skin will likely be needed to achieve an optimal result.

Ziyad Hammoudeh, MD

Los Angeles General Surgeon

Effective Professional Treatments for Cellulite

Cellulite is extremely common. An estimated 100 million women in the USA between the ages of 20-54 voice concern about #cellulite. Cellulite is caused by fibrous bands underneath the skin that compress #fat, #diet and #exercise do little to help the appearance of this condition.  Clinical treatments offer the most effective and longest lasting results.  We can now offer improvements that should last at least 2-3 years. My office also recommends three different procedures: ThermiSmooth, VelaShape 3, and Cellfina or Cellifina Platinum.  
ThermiSmooth is a #noninvasive treatment that uses very controlled #radio frequencies that deep heat target tissues and stimulate #collagen growth, improving the appearance of cellulite.  A series of three to six treatments are needed for the best results.  #Thermismooth may also be used to treat fine lines or wrinkles.

VelaShape 3 is a non-invasive treatment combining #massage rollers, a vacuum to elevate the target# tissue, infrared lights to heat the target tissue, and bi-polar radio frequencies which guide the heat; all together helping to reduce the appearance of cellulite. I suggest over six sessions, one week apart.  The combination of these technologies causes the connective tissue under the skin to heat up, stimulating collagen growth, #improving cellulite and skin elasticity.  #VelaShape 3 may also be used for eliminating fat cells around the stomach and thighs.  

Cellfina is the newest FDA approved treatment for cellulite.  Unlike the others, #Cellfina it is a one-time, minimally invasive procedure  in which a safe, small needle-like tool is inserted to the target tissue to break apart the excessive fibrous connective tissue that causes cellulite.  There is minimum #downtime and the amazing results from one treatment last at least two years, longer than any other cellulite treatment. Cellfina #Platinum combines other non-surgical treatments for optimum #results. Seek more information to learn if you are candidate for these #treatment #options by consulting in-person with a board-certified Plastic Surgeon.

Lumpy legs

Best advice is to obtain a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon near you experienced in body contouring and thigh lifting procedures. They can examine you, then discuss treatment options with you in detail.

Paul M. Parker, MD, FACS
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Getting the Legs You Work Hard For -- Thigh Lifting and Non Invasive Options Like Exilis/Venus Legacy, Vanquish, Cellutone/Z Wav

You would need a formal evaluation as this likely needs a thigh lifting procedure with non invasive options.  I suggest seeing a body contouring expert. Best, Dr. Emer