I'm African American. What products will you recommend to fade out my acne scars? And will Retin A help? (photo)

I still have a little bit of acne on my cheeks

African American and Dark Spots

A combination of bleaching creams, Vitamin C serums, and Retinoids with chemical peels would help take away these spots.  Please consult an experienced board certified dermatologist with expertise in scars.  Best, Dr. Green

Topical acne treatment

We prefer ReFissa which is a topical Retin-A which is very well-tolerated with minimal skin reaction. Additionally, we recommend a topical growth hormone , Regenica , which has synergistic effects with topical ReFissa.  Hydroquinone bleaching creams, topical vitamin C, Glycolic acid and superficial chemical peels work quite well. Additionally, a new state-of-the-art technology includes a laser treatment underneath the skin with no downtime and no external healing called Precision TX.   ICON LASER exhibits no to minimal downtime and is also new state-of-the-art technology which is very effective.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Fading acne scars

Thank you for your question.  Yes, Retin A is a common topical product used to help fade post inflammatory hyperpigmentation and smooth complexion.  There are many topical products and procedures that can be done in all skin types to help with these conditions.  A thorough evaluation will help individualize a plan that is right for you.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS