I have a prominent scar on my face. Should I get a steroid injection/ undertake laser? What are risks?(photo)

Which is more immediate? The scar resulted from a cystic pimple which formed 10 days ago but is no longer active. The scar is soft, red, slightly itchy and painful when massaged. I have been using silicone sheeting nightly, massaging with silicone gel and applying heat compresses. This combination has worked for me in the past. The scar is in a very prominent part of my face so waiting several months for it to reduce in size/flatten is not ideal. I am of Indian ethnicity with fair skin. Thank you for your views.

Options for post-pimple redness and induration.

Plato's Scar Serum is appropriate for post-pimple redness and induration. I would also consider pulsed dye laser. Best, Dr. KaramanoukianLos Angeles

Keloids/Scar -- Fraxel, 5fu/steroids, pulsed dye/vbeam/yellow laser, microneedling/PRP, surgical removal

A combination approach is needed to get the best outcome.  I suggest you see an expert who can get you on a short and long term plan. Best, Dr. Emer

Newly formed "scar" on face

Scarring doesn't occur after only 10 days. Collagen takes 3 weeks to start to form. If wanting the best outcome, seeking a consultation with a Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon is necessary. This still might be infected. In general, early red scars are best treated with a VBeam or Excel V, but not for type 5 or 6 skin and only light type 4 skin.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Facial scar treatment options

There are many effective options for improving the appearance of scars.  After only 10 days, the scar is still in the very early stages of healing and it may be difficult to predict how much improvement  you may experience over time.  Injections of steroids combined with other agents such as 5 flurouracil can be very effective if done by an experienced physician at the proper time.  Topical agents such as silicone may be helpful over time and consistent sun protection is very important to prevent excessive pigmentation.  New therapies using retinol are also showing promising results and in some situations light or laser treatment can also help.   Be sure to get an evaluation by a physician experienced in these options as well as medical skin care such as a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist.

Frank Barone, MD
Toledo Plastic Surgeon