Will Weight Gain Fill out "Thin Skin" or Visible Ribs?

I am 22, 5'7" and weight 120. Overall, I am happy with my body and weight except for the fact that inbetween my breasts i have very visible ribs (looks like a washboard inbteween my breats!. Is there anything at all I can do to get rid of this? Will gaining weight definitely fill it out or will it remain visible because its just my body type? I am really considering fat transfer.

Doctor Answers 2

Free fat grafting

Unfortunately you cannot spot reduce or gain fat. That is through diet and exercise alone you cannot lose fat in one area while maintaining it in all other areas. In gaining weight your body will store fat in areas specific to age, race, sex etc. you cannot make it go to one area in preference to another unless your body is already programmed to do so.

If you want more fat in one area to the exclusion of other areas of the body the most reliable way to do is via free fat grafting.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

Filling Volume

Two quick and effective treatments that you may way to try are 1) Sculptra injections and 2) Fat Transfer.  The Sculptra injections are off-label, but can be quite effective.  Fat Transfer involves harvesting fat from somewhere else on your body and then injecting it under the skin where you want more thickness.  


Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 75 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.