Is Surgery an Option for Me? (photo)

I have about 30 small keloid/ or hypertrophic scars on chest, shoulders and back. I had 3 steroid injections (triamcinolone acetonide). I wonder if surgery an option for me? I have been to plastic surgeon and he said he wont touch it, well I want to know if he's right or should I find another one? Many thanks.

Doctor Answers 1

Surgery for keloids and hypertrophic scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

As a dermatologist I agree with your plastic surgeon.  These scars cannot be 'cut out'.  If you attempt to do this I can virtually guarantee they will get worse as the skin heals.   The best approach for this will be to use the combination of intralesional high dose steroids injections and possibly the use of laser energy to help treat the redness to your scars.  This will effectively flatten those scars without any surgical risk.  Hang in there!

Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.