What treatment do you recommend to get rid of scarring on my skin? (Photo)

I get acne occasionally but it's the aftermath that bothers me. I have scarring on my face, under my chin, chest and back. I use ambi fading cream now but it seems to be making my skin especially my face two toned.

Doctor Answers 5

Here's My Recommendation--Acne Scars Treatment, Lasers (TCA Cross), fillers (Bellafill), microneedling/prp

You will need a combination approach and specifically for your type of scars: lasers, radiofrequency. TCA cross, microneedling/prp, fillers, and subcision. See an acne scarring expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 196 reviews

Acne Treatment Solutions

Sorry to hear that you are having difficulty with your skin. Living with acne scarring is not something you have to put up with thanks to the advancement of aesthetic lasers that are equipped to treat a wide variety of skin conditions. 

There are many options to treat acne scarring, so to achieve the best results for your specific case, consult an experienced specialist with a reputable practice. Lasers are a great way to resurface the skin and reduce scars, particularly the Erbium and CO2 lasers. The Erbium laser is a state-of-the-art laser that resurfaces the skin and reduce scars in under an hour. The results are almost instant, and only about 3-4 days of downtime are required. Another option is the CO2 laser. The CO2 laser penetrates the skin deeper than the Erbium; therefore, the results are a little better, but you would need about 7-10 days of downtime. Also, because this laser is more invasive, you do not need multiple treatments like the Erbium. 

At our clinic we often recommend a series of AFT (Advanced Fluorescence Technology) laser treatments for acne scarring as a starting point, it all depends on the patients current skin condition. AFT is an Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) laser technology targets the surface of the skin where prior acne has made the surface uneven and improves the texture, tone, and appearance of skin with minimal downtime.

A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or a dermatologist would be the first step in treating your scars!

I would highly recommend a high quality medical grade skin care routine that contains ingredients that have been developed to treat acne on the face.

Watch the attached link for more info.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 151 reviews

Hyperpigmentation on dark skin

This needs a skin expert evaluation. I would start you on prescription products including Retin A and hydroquinone. Also chemical peels are needed. Scars can be treated with the Infini when the pigmentation is improved.

Steven F. Weiner, MD
Panama City Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Hyperpigmentation and Acne Scars

I suggest you consult a board certified dermatologist to both treat the current outbreaks of acne and then have chemical peels to heal and lighten these dark marks.  Please consult an expert in dark skin and peels.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD
New York Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 78 reviews

Treat active acne, use bleaching creams, gentle lasers.

Firstly you have active acne. This MUST be controlled at the same time as treatments for pigmentation. See a general dermatologist for this. Your PIH or post inflammatory hyper pigmentation can be controlled with a series of chemical peels, Pico or Nano Q switch lasers, and bleaching cream. You must sun protect as well, as this can decrease more PIH with active acne. Gentle treatments are required in this skin type. All the best, Dr Davin Lim, Brisbane. Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist
4.7 out of 5 stars 77 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.