ASPS VS ASAPS? Is the ASAPS necessary?

All of the docs I am researching are ASPS. Some are not ASAPS. What are those surgeons lacking? Should I avoid ones that aren't ASAPS?

Thank you for your question.The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) are the dominant societies for plastic surgeons in the United States. ASPS includes the entire specialty of plastic surgery that includes aesthetic surgery, reconstructive surgery, hand surgery, and craniofacial surgery.  ASAPS however is focused purely on aesthetic surgery.  Both are excellent societies and many plastic surgeons are members of both societies.Both require board certification in plastic surgery by the American Board of Plastic Surgery which is a vigorous process involving written and oral examinations over a 2 year duration.  This is following plastic surgery training at a minimum of 6 years.  To become a member of ASAPS you must also demonstrate either completing an endorsed aesthetic surgery fellowship of 6 months to 1 year duration following completing a plastic surgery residency or performing a significant number of aesthetic cases in your practice and attending the aesthetic surgery national meeting.I personally know many surgeons that are in ASPS but not ASAPS that are high quality aesthetic surgeons.  Often times it comes down to costs associated with membership as physicians in general pay thousands of dollars annually to the various societies and licensing entities.  Best Dr. L