Acne scarring and need to find a treatment - possibly laser? (Photo)

I had severe acne in teenage. Now that had led me to have acne scarring. I think I have rolling scars, correct me if I'm wrong and I would like to find a best treatment for it. I heard about laser treatments but not sure which one is the best. please help me find one. Picture included. Thanks!

Doctor Answers 5

Acne Scarring Treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There are several options for treating acne scarring. The first thing I would recommend you do is schedule a consultation with a qualified Dermatologist who can access the condition of your skin. From the photos, the scars resemble box car scars (intended pits on the skin). But they can possibly be rolling scars (bands which form deeper in the skin with wave-like appearance). Fraxel Lasers stimulate the development of new collagen fibers. This tissue will fill in the acne scar depressions to create smoother looking skin. Click on the link below to read more about acne scar removal with the Fraxel Laser procedure.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Mixed scars, will need multiple treatment.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Acne scar revision is a specialised field. For the best results, one should target the acne scar type with ideal treatments. In your case, your darker skin type is also a rate limiting factor, however with newer treatments such as INFINI, this becomes less of an issue. I do think you have a mixture of scars, including, as you suggested rolling scars. I also think you have an element of tethering or anchoring - this can be accurately assessed upon examination. 

A mix of treatments is recommended for different scar types.
For example deep ice pick scars, and narrow box car scars can be treated with TCA CROSS peels, mixed scars, rolling, and atrophic scars treated with fractional devices such as Fraxel, fractional lasers, and INFINI radiofrequency. Atrophic scars (depressions) can be treated with either fat grafts, or with HA dermal fillers. Tethered and anchored scars are best treated with surgery.

The majority of patients will have a collection of different scar types, and hence a tailored treatment will be best. Careful examination, especially under angled lighting with scar mapping will give you an understanding of what are the best options for your scars.

All the best,
Dr Davin Lim
Laser, surgical & aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Options for acne scars in Los Angeles

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I would use a combination of fillers, Clear and Brilliant laser, fractional co2 laser, Ematrix RF, and subcision to improve the scars on your face. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Acne scarring requires a combination approach and having darker skin you need an expert in the proper lasers and fillers and peels to give you the best results.  It will take a series of treatments for improvement.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 204 reviews

Laser Resurfacing for Rolling Scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi Siana. We would use fractional laser resurfacing - the Sciton Profractional - for your situation.  Erbium and CO2 laser resurfacing are both good options in your situation and it's likely going to be 2 or 3 visits to get you significant improvement.  

To see before and after pictures of Los Angeles patients that have had Profractional laser resurfacing, click on the link below.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.