I was burned about 3 months ago. Is this a Keloid or Hypertrophic scar? (photo)

I was burned about 3 months ago, in the healing process this raised scar appeared. It has barely gotten betterbetter in the month or two that I've had it. Which type of scar is it and how can it be flattened?

Doctor Answers 4

Treatment for a thick scar on the arm

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Begin treatment immediately with pulsed dye laser and IIT to diminish the scars ability to grow and further deform the skin.
I would also use Melarase cream for the pigmentation.  This would include Melarase AM and Melarase PM.  

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Treatment of hypertrophic scarring

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. What you have is hypertrophic scar. There several treatment options, steroid injections, silicon pads, scargurd, messaging the scar, etc. Results are not always good with scars in that location.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon

Keloid vs. Hypertrophic Scarring Following Burn Injury

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

That looks like a hypertrophic scar – it does not exceed the boundaries of the initial injury. A keloid scar would exceed the boundaries of the injured area. Hypertrophic scars are common in second and third degree burns that are allowed to heal by secondary intention, and not treated with skin grafting. I suspect that the area of hypertrophic scarring was the slowest area to complete healing.

Corticosteroid injections may help to soften and flatten the scar. They are also effective in improving any pain or itching that may be present. Pressure/massage can also be beneficial but I doubt you will see significant changes with this degree of hypertrophy. If the area is still healing and the scar is still maturing then the above treatments may be more effective. In the end, you may achieve a better result with scar excision and grafting or scar excise and suture closure.

Seek the advice of a plastic surgeon that can follow the healing process along over the next 6-12 months. If the results are not satisfactory then you can decide if surgery is an option.

Best wishes, Ken Dembny

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

Treating hypertrophic scarring

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your scar looks hypertrophic to me. Silicone gel sheeting and corticosteroid injections are both effective ways to flatten a raised scar. Another option that you may wish to discuss with a plastic surgeon is to have the scar excised (cut out) and the skin edges stitched together, followed by careful scar management in the post operative period.

Jill Tomlinson, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.