I Am Curious What the Name of This Problem is Under my Eyes and How to Fix It? (photo)

I am young and have had these lines under my eyes since i was a baby, but from smoking, drinking, late nights and make up i feel its been getting worse. I also have dark circles around my eyes but that can be hidden with make up my concern is these deep lines under my eyes and how to get rid of them for good. Note: when i wake up in the morning the lines are extremely noticeable because i have puffiness as well which makes them more noticeable

Doctor Answers 4

Restylane in the Lower Lid

You have a mild depression which is perfectly amendable to a filler.  This lasts about a year, and is typically about $500.00.  It will make an instant difference.  Be sure to avoid asprin, ibuprofen etc. for a week before you have it done.

Birmingham Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 31 reviews

Lower lid shadows

are very common, especially as you age.  Regardless, there are several different ways to manage this.  As mentioned by prior posters, you can fill the crease as a temporary fix.  If you want a more permanent fix and are willing to accept the risks, you can consider fat grafting.  If your morning crease is worse because of swelling of the area above the crease, you may even want to consider a transconjunctival lower lid blepharoplasty where the fat and skin are released and the fat placed into the depressions.  A consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon (ENT, Oph, or Plastics) should help you get the answers you need to help you make a decision on what would be best for you.

Curtis Wong, MD
Redding Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Your line is part of the under circle.

The line forms because in the location the skin is fused with the underlying orbicularis oculi muscle. The line is the location of where the head of the muscle attaches to the bone. Filler treatment is need to fill this depression. Treatment needs to be performed by an experienced injector. This will generally be a cosmetic oculoplastic surgeon who does a large volume of these types of services. Do not go to a nurse or a physician who does not regularly perform surgery on this area because a detail knowledge of the surgical anatomy of the midface is essential for these services.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

You might also like...

Treatment of Lower Eyelid Lines

Based on the picture, it appears that what you are calling as "deep lines" under your eyes are what we call tear trough creases, and yours is not deep in my opinion (good news!). We treat under eye volume loss and tear trough creases with injectable fillers.  Occasionally you can also improve very fine lines under the eye which are seen mostly with smiling (dynamic lines) with neurotoxin injections.  I find too that when you improve the volume loss and lines under the eyes, it also helps improve the discoloration. I recommend you consult with a board-certified physician (dermatologist, facial plastic surgeon, occulo-plastic surgeon) for evaluation and treatment options. Click on the link below to see before and after photos of under eye lines treated with injectable fillers.

Channing R. Barnett, MD
New York Dermatologist
4.1 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.