I'm 20. What can I do to prevent wrinkles from forming?

I use tretinoin 0.025% every other night with a moisturizer over it. I drink water, and I don't smoke or tan. I use an SPF everyday. I was thinking about incorporating a vitamin c serum like OZ naturals Vitamin C 20% with Vitamin E, ferulic and hyaluronic acid. Will this help me stave off wrinkles in the long run?

Preventative Measures for Wrinkles

Good for you, normavc67! It sounds like you are giving yourself a fantastic head start in preventing wrinkles and sun damage!

While genetics certainly have a hand in how you age, daily habits and environmental damage can play a huge role as well. Almost every patient over the age of 18 can benefit from daily use of quality skincare products, specifically an SPF, a retinoid, and an antioxidant (such as the Vitamin C serum you mentioned). As you get older, it will be a great idea to also add a product containing growth factors to boost cell repair and collagen. In addition, please do continue to hydrate, and avoid smoking and tanning!

If down the line you are interested in getting started with treatment, consider light chemical peels and/or microdermabrasion for exfoliation, or perhaps even a mild laser such as Clear+Brilliant to stimulate collagen growth. Be sure to consult with a board certified Dermatologist when you are ready to take the next step. Keep up the great work!

Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Preventing wrinkles

You are off to a good start with many of the things you are doing. We have found high quality skin care products such as ZO Medical to be an excellent way to maintain your skin. Obtain a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for a skin evaluation and to discuss further.

Wrinkle Prevention

The best treatment for skin rejuvenation and prevention depends upon an individual’s skin type, age, ethnicity, sun exposure, and overall health. I recommend a healthy lifestyle: a diet high in fruits, vegetables, nuts, legumes and fish; eight to ten hours of sleep nightly; limiting alcohol intake other than the occasional glass of red wine; and regular exercise. An important step for all skin types is sun protection including the use of daily sunscreen, sun hats and sunglasses, all of which help prevent aging and sunburns. When it comes to rejuvenating and prevention treatments, a combination of treatments are available including cosmeceuticals (skin care products including ZO® Skin Health or ZO® Medical, Skinceuticals® or Glo-Minerals®), neurotoxins (Botox®, Xeomin®), dermal fillers (Restylane®, Juvederm®, Esthelis®, Belotero®, Emervel®, Radiesse®), and skin resurfacing procedures (advanced laser resurfacing or OBAGI® controlled depth chemical peel). These are advanced techniques so be sure to get an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon consultation for recommendations and treatment options.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Aging Prevention - Clear + Brilliant/Fraxel, Viva, EclipseMicropen, PRP

I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist who does combination therapies for age prevention including nonablative lasers and skin care.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Preventing Wrinkles In Your Twenties

It is great to hear that you are being proactive about wanting to prevent premature signs of aging. Many dermatologists would recommend the use of an SPF of 30 or higher.

In addition to focusing on the surface of your skin, it is also important to consider the health and maintenance of the tissue below the surface. Therefore, think about consuming more foods that are high in antioxidants, and reduced processed foods. These compounds neutralize free radicals which erode the cells as they try to “steal” electrons from nearby molecules.

Common examples include green tea, blueberries, kale, spirulina, and the general group of bright colorful fruits and vegetables. Look up recipes that inspire you to eat these types of foods on a long term, consistent basis. 

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

You are doing great!

You are on the right path! Go ahead and incorporate the OZ naturals vit C 20%.
watch the video it may help develop your anti- aging strategy in the future.

Ritu Malhotra, MD
Cleveland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Preventing wrinkles

Having a great skin care regimen, including daytime/nighttime moisturizer, vitamin c, retinol and sunscreen will help with wrinkle prevention.  Staying out of the sun, not smoking, a healthy diet with plenty of water are also going to help keep your skin looking young.  Keep up the good work, the earlier you start the better!  Aging is inevitable but prevention is key. 

H. George Brennan, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon