When should one stop getting more treatments for acne scars?

I've undergone 8 sessions for CO2 Laser for treating the acne scars. I had combination of scars - Boxcar , Ice pick and rolling as well. After the sessions my skin did improved, but the scars still remain. I really want to clear up my skin and can undergo more such treatments. How many maximum CO2 Laser sittings can one have ? Heard it is harmful if done excessively. Also, thinking of Dermaroller treatment to treat rolling scars. Do Dermaroller damage skin at same extent that of laser ?

Acne Scars and Treatments after Co2 laser

Perhaps you need adjuvant treatments such as Bellafill or other injectables if these scars are deep.  I suggest that you get another consultation to see the best results.  Best, Dr. Green

Co2 sessions- best results are with the method not procedure.

Acne scar revision is a specialised field. For the best results, one should target the acne scar type with ideal treatments. For example deep ice pick scars, and narrow box car scars can be treated with TCA CROSS peels, mixed scars, rolling, and atrophic scars treated with fractional devices such as Fraxel, fractional lasers, and INFINI radiofrequency. Atrophic scars (depressions) can be treated with either fat grafts, or with HA dermal fillers. Tethered and anchored scars are best treated with surgery.

The majority of patients will have a collection of different scar types, and hence a tailored treatment METHOD will be best. Careful examination, especially under angled lighting with scar mapping will give you an understanding of what are the best options for your scars. The web reference shows only one particular combination I use to treat scars in THAT particular patient. Every patient is different, and hence finding the correct combination is the key. 

Dr Davin Lim
Laser, surgical & aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist