What can I do about my acne scars from ingrown hairs?

Acne scars due to ingrown hairs first any suggestions or medication to help reduce chance reoccurence second any help with eliminating scars middle eastern skin male

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

Acne scarring and ingrown hairs require a combination of laser hair removal and other lasers, fillers, TCA cross and peels.  I suggest seeing an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Laser hair removal

It may be necessary to remove the problematic hairs. Topical medications such as tretinoin or adapalene can peel the skin. Another alternative is the pub razor which leaves a quarter inch of beard so the hairs do not cut into the skin.

Morris Westfried, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne Scars from Ingrown Hairs

Permanent removal of the hair prevents more acne from ingrown hairs.  The scars can be treated with eMatrix for the acne scars.  Best, Dr. Green

Scars due to acne or ingrown hairs

Examination by a dermatologist can help identify the scarring type, but either box-car or ice-pick scars are treated by either (1) subscission or untethering of the skin from the deeper scar, (2) fractionated CO2 laser treatment to pixelate and instill new collagen within scars, (3) Peeling of individual deeper scars to shallow these scars, (4) filling the depressions with an injectable filler.

Since your skin is pigmented, you may do better with subscission, fractionated CO2 or fillers.

Michael Howard Swann, MD
Springfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne scars from ingrown hairs

Thank you for your question. Treatment for scarring depends on the type of scars you have such as discoloration, keloids, or atrophic (indentation) scars. As for ingrown hairs, prevention depends on the cause of your ingrown hairs such as shaving or excessive sweating. You can consider using an over-the-counter benzoyl peroxide wash to the area once a day, which would help decrease the amount of bacteria on the skin. Some individuals may find that the benzoyl peroxide wash is not enough and a topical antibiotic cream may be needed to treat the ingrown hairs. I highly recommend consulting with a dermatologist to evaluate the ingrown hairs and scars and to develop a treatment plan that best suits your needs.

Reuel Aspacio, MD, FAAD