13 days post op. When showering after tummy tuck, is it okay to get incision wet when I still have sutures & tape on?

Showering after tummy tuck

In my practice patients are allowed to shower after drain removal which is usually at 3 days.

However I do not use Steri-Strips.

I prefer the patient's not get Steri-Strips or tape wet by showering because the Steri-Strips will hold moisture against the incision and could cause maceration or softening of the incision.

Of course it is best to seek the advice of your plastic surgeon.

Shower after tummy Tuck

Each physician may be different in their post op care.  I typically allow my patients to shower at this time.  Yes, the tape can get wet.  Just when drying off dab the tape dry and replace your compression garment.  

Ernest Layton, MD

Showering after tummy tuck

I allow my patients to shower 36 hours after surgery because I no longer use drains. If you have drains, you should be able to shower when they are removed. Since your are 2 weeks post op, your drains have probably been removed and you should be able to shower. The incisions and tape can get wet. Just pat the tape dry when you are finished.  

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Depends on MD preference

Typically I let my patients shower and get the area wet. They blot their steri strips dry or dry the area with a blow dryer on the cool setting. As long as you're healing well, I suspect your surgeon would let you shower (not bathe), but you should ask. Communication optimizes your result!

Erik Hoy, MD
Warwick Plastic Surgeon

Post Tummy tuck care

Hi Illeana, showering 13 days post op should not be a problem. You could dab the tapes dry after the shower.

In our practice, we have an occlusive Opsite post op dressing on, for the first 5 days. It is removed on day 5 and the patient has a shower in the clinic, during the post op follow up. The incision site is dressed again with the same dressing and the patient can have a shower daily over the dressing till day 10, after which it is removed. The incision is exposed & showers are allowed, followed by dabbing the wound dry.

All the best and I wish you a fast & safe recovery!

13 days post op. Is it okay to get incision wet when I still have sutures & tape on?

Each plastic surgeon has different after care instructions, and you should check with your surgeon for his/her recommendation. That being said, I do allow my patients to shower and get the incision and tape or steri-strips wet 13 days post op. After your shower, pat the area dry with a clean towel.

Best wishes for your recovery.