I have acne scars on both temples, and want to figure out what is the best treatment for them (Photo)

I am still being treated about the acne problem I am having, but want to get an idea of what to do with the scars after I am done with the acne problem. I am kind of worried about using lasers on the temple zone, as the skin is very thin. Can someone give me an advice?

Combined Peel for acne scarring

You are correct that your active acne should be controlled before treating the scarring.  At the Obagi Skin Health Institute, we have found a combined peel to be very effective for acne scarring.   A modified TCA peel and a CO2 fraxel are done simultaneously.  

Treatment of acne scars in the temples

Acne scarring in the temples can be improved with a combination of aggressive subcision, injectables, and in some cases technology-based treatments.  Punch excision is sometimes performed as well.  I would recommend consultation with a physician who is highly experienced in the treatment of acne scarring before undergoing treatment.  Best of luck.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Acne Scars Advice--Lasers, microneedling/prp, subcision, fillers

This will require a combination approach of lasers, microneedling/prp, subcision and fillers. I recommend a formal evaluation with a cosmetic dermatologist for treatment for active acne and scarring treatment options. Best, Dr. Emer

Temple acne scars

These are best treated with combination therapy - subcision, Bellafill, and Infini. You will get improvements but not resolution of these. See link.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

I have #acne scars on both temples, and want to figure out what is the best treatment for them

Great question. One important thing to keep in mind, is you want to be sure that your acne breakouts are in excellent control prior to starting any scar treatments.  You do not want to spend money on scar treatments only to develop new scars from subsequent breakouts.  When you are controlled, then you can consider some special scar treatments for your skin.  I most commonly start with a micro-needling treatment with radiofrequency energy (there are several brands on the market--Infini, Intracel) as I have seen the best results with this.  It is typically a series of 4-6 treatments spaced out about 6 weeks apart.  There is a short down time associated with such treatments of 5-7 days which includes swelling, redness, and occasionally small scabs from the needle sites.  If you have persistent deeper scars, subscision is an option to spot treat the more aggressive scarring.  Please make sure to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist with experience in treating this problem and with using these devices for best recommendations.  Good luck!

Megan Jack, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Scars on temples; ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, NJ

Acne scars are treated based upon the type of scar. You have deep and superficial box cars as well as saucer shaped scars. You must remember that lasers do not lift scars. For this reason we recommend performing subscision  with a procedure that will lift the scars such as infini.  Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

Deep Acne scars on Temples

A combination of fillers and lasers such as eMatrix will improve these acne scars.  You treat these scars on the temples just the same way as other scars on your face.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

​Acne scarring in the temple area is very treatable.

Acne scarring in the temple area is very treatable. The temple skin is thin but it's not thinner than other areas of your face if you're talking just about the skin thickness. Yes it is thin from skin to deeper tissues compared to the cheek.But you treat the scars in the same way. Your scars are ice pick scars and box car scars in that area. You will likely need some treatment for the deeper layers as well as the Superficial layers using CO2 laser and other deeper techniques . But your scars can get a lot better

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon