Acne, stretch marks/hole in my face; treatment? (Photos)

Hi there, i will soon be 26 years of age and used to have acne when i was 17-18 years old. Now they are back. They dont scare me a lot, but my main concern is a stretch mark or hole in my face which doesnt look pleasant. I have tried Mederma and Sudocream, but without success. Are there any over the counter skin cream which i can try or i should consider something else ? Thanks for your time !

Doctor Answers 6

Stretch mark/hole secondary to acne scarring

Thank you for your question. There are no effective over the counter treatment options that can be recommended for this stretch mark/hole. For a patient of your age and gender, I would initially recommend skin needling to stimulate collagen induction which optimises your skin's natural healing mechanism. Any residual hollowing can be revised at a later date with either or both chemical peel/HA based dermal filler but this will only be recommended pending a review after the initial skin needling treatment.

Sydney Physician
4.7 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

Laser therapy

For the scarring that is shown in the photo, I would perform Fractora which is a microneedling radiofrequency device to stimulate the collagen of the skin.  Some prescription medications can also be used to control your active acne lesions if those persist or continue to recur.

Azin Meshkinpour, MD
Lake Forest Dermatologist

Treating acne and scarring simultaneously

It is important to treat your acne as well as addressing the scarring, otherwise you will simply develop further scars once your initial ones have been improved.  Visit a dermatologist with a special interest in acne and scar treatments.  They will be able to not only provide you with the medication to treat your acne, but discuss the scar treatment options in depth with you also.  Tethered scarring like you present will respond well to a combination of subscision, fractionated CO2 or radio frequency needling, and filler.  Your specialist can talk you through the process. Best wishes, Shobhan.

Shobhan Manoharan, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

Treating acne scars on face

There is nothing over the counter that can treat these. You have lost volume and Bellafill would be helpful. Also, the Infini is great to treat acne scars. The current breakout needs treatment before the other mentioned treatments.

Steven F. Weiner, MD
Panama City Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Acne scars

Hi seen your pic .as you have an active breakout and inflammation a course of antibiotic is needed.Then  once the infection subsides a few sessions of microneedling will make your scars less obvious.still  further for a better outcome you can opt for nano fat fill to even out your scar texture. please do consult a dermatologist and plan your procedure.

Karthik Ram, MRCS, DNB
India Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 50 reviews

Acne and Scars

I would suggest you consult a board certified dermatologist for your skin.  You may need oral antibiotics since there appears to be an injection.  Lasers such as V-Beam, Ematrix, and Fraxel can help with your acne scars.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD
New York Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 76 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.