Why do med spas not inform you of the risks of Kenalog injections?

Do not get Kenalog injections!! I had one pimple I wanted gone before a big weekend and got one. Now I am stuck with a deep crater divet in my face forever! The pimple would have gone away on its own, but now I am left with permanent problems :( I want to cry every time I look in the mirror

Kenalog Injections

I instruct my patients about the risks and benefits of all treatment, not just kenalog injections. I cannot answer on behalf of med spas.

Turlock Dermatologist

Atrophy after Kenalog injection

This complication is often dismissed as rare and it is not. I've seen significant scarring from this. I've been asked to do this and have never done this because the risk of atrophy isn't worth having the pimple go away a few days faster. Depending on the scar, Bellafill might be what's needed to fix the problem, just like an acne scar.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Kenalog injections for acne...

Thank you for your question.  Before undergoing any medical procedure, informed consent must be obtained, this includes kenalog injections.  In the future, you should only have medical procedures like this performed by a board certified Dermatologist.  The good news is this is likely not permanent.  A divot secondary to kenalog injection tends to repair itself and improve over time, there may also be some ways your dermatologist can speed up the healing using a multitude of techniques.  Please follow up with them for proper evaluation and management.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon