I get cystic acne after my period, which leaves scarring. What should I do?

I get cystic acne after my period and the time of my ovulation until i get my period another month !! it's like three weeks cystic acne and one week clear , and all of it is on my chin and leaves big scarring and painful !! help me please!! i know its hormonal , i know i have hormonal imbalance , but what should i do?

Doctor Answers 3

I get cystic acne after my period, which leaves scarring. What should I do?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for your query. You should visit an endocrinologist and get it treated along with your acne treatment. Do not prick your acne as that leaves scarring, the untouched acne generally leaves a PiH. If your acne becomes a severe cystic one then you should go in intraregional steroidal injection for the same as it helps in healing the cystic acne. Hope it helps

All The Best

India Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 217 reviews

Cystic acne associated with menstrual cycle

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Spironolactone is an option in this type of acne. I also use lasers to help with this. You must avoid any picking/poking of these cysts because scarring will be worse with that.

Steven F. Weiner, MD
Panama City Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 75 reviews

A Board Certified Dermatologist Can Help Treat Cystic, Cyclical Acne

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is not uncommon for women to have cyclical breakouts in acne, often right before and during their period, less often immediately afterward and still less commonly around the time of ovulation. It is also quite common for older women, in particular, in their twenties and thirties to experiencs outbreaks along the lower face: jawline, chin and neck. The potentially scarring, cystic acne you describe deserves appropriate and aggressive topical and very often oral therapies in order to achieve  control, to prevent future outbreaks, and to prevent any additional scarring. Since it typically takes two to four months to reach adequate control, you would do well to seek consultation with a board certified dermatologist as soon as possible. You may need in-office treatments to clean out comedones and to inject the cysts and at-home prescription topicals along with oral antibiotics, birth control pills, and an androgen suppressing hormone spironolactone. The most appropriate treatment regimen for your particular needs and history, however, are best determined at the time of an in-person consultation,which you do well to schedule asap.. Good luck to you. 

Nelson Lee Novick, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.