Best treatment to get rid of box and rolling scars on hispanic skin?

I have one big boxscar and two minor rolling scars just at the side of my nose and these are also red/purple. I got these because I was dum enough to use a product that contains BHA while I was on Accutane. I usually never get these types of scarring, only red spots. I also have hispanic skin. I am clearly very worried about this and I would really appreciate your opinion in which treatment that works the best on hispanic skin with rolling and box scars? Thank you!

Acne Scar Resurfacing

Hi Veronica, as other practitioners have stated, it's difficult without photos.  But based on the description of boxcar and rolling, we would suggest either fractional laser resurfacing or combination of fractional resurfacing and Restylane injections.  To see examples of before and after photos of acne scar removal in Los Angeles using these techniques, click on the link below. 

Scars and redness treatment darker skin

It is hard to say exactly what to do without pictures. The Infini is a great device to treat acne scars in a darker skin type. It can treat all types of acne scars. Redness is best treated with a vascular laser (VBeam/Excel V) however if your skin is too dark, this can't be done. Others treatments for the scars include TCA Cross, laser, subcision, Bellafill.  See link.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Box and Rolling scrs

not sure what a box and rolling scars are following rhinoplasty? please provide photographs so we can better appreciate your concerns.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

I suggest seeing an expert for treatment and combination options. There are many things that can be done for improvement such as punch excision, TCA cross, lasers, microneedling/PRP.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Scar therapy

All scars are treatable, it's just a matter of time and cost. Regarding ethnic skin specifically, you'll just need to make sure whoever is treating you isn't too aggressive with whatever therapy they choose. A handful of laser treatments should do the trick, but a few decent chemical peels would also help. In our office we treat scars with the sharplight 2940 laser, along with the cynosure focus laser. The peels we prefer are made by skinmedica.

Jerome Obed, DO, FAOCD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologist

Ethnic skin is challenging but surmountable

My specialty is treating acne and acne scars in any ethnic skin, be it Hispanic, Asian or Mediterranean. Without looking at your photos, it will be IMPOSSIBLE to formulate a sensible plan that will fit your needs. Even photos are not good proxy for face to face contact. Sometimes, the real depths of the scars cannot be captured by photos because of overlighting or underlighting.   However, when looking at treatments, be prepared to be realistic on the number of treatments you may get and the possibility of post inflammatory hyperpigmentation that may likely arise from the treatment. I don't care if this treatment is micro needling from any device whether it's Ecclipse or Dermapen or MDPen or whatever the name of the pen is - they are all the same or from any laser device whether CO2 or ErbiumYag or any chemical peels, whether TCA, Phenol Peel, Vi Peel, Obagi Peel, etc, etc... they are all acids... Point I'm saying is that whatever any of the foregoing treatments is applied to your skin may give you hyperpigmentation. Would you accept that while seeing your scars go away. Or would you say, Gee, I replaced a problem with another problem. However, the pigmentation will lighten up over time, the scars won't - they become uglier and deeper over time. The safest thing to do to is putty in your scars underneath the crater by using dermal fillers. However, this is temporary.  Some docs use Silicone to increase the longevity of the fillers. By themselves, I personally do not like these things because I look at them as band-aiding the problem. The truth is there is no single approach to acne scars treatment. It depends on the type of your scars, the depth of the floor of your scars, the steepness of the scar walls, the irregularity of the scar borders and how dense are they? Are scars sparse or dense? There are so many things that direct a cosmetic surgeon how to formulate a plan to treat acne scars. I will tell you this for sure. There is no cookie cutter plan to fix it. Hope you find the right doc to treat you. Good luck.  

Cynthia M. Lopez, MD
Fresno Physician