What do I do about lines under and around my eyes in my 20s? (photos)

I'm 27 and I feel as if I'm severely prematurely aging. It worries me because my 30 year old boyfriend doesn't even have wrinkles like mine and he is a smoker (I have never smoked). It scares me to think what I'll look like when I'm 30. Is there any way I can get rid of these lines or is it something that I'm just going to have to accept?

Aging in 20's

It is normal for fine wrinkles and lines to begin appearing around the eyes in mid and even late 20’s. The first thing to do is make sure you are taking care of your skin, using adequate sun protection, sunglasses, medical grade skincare products. Consistent use of an eye cream that contains retinol, caffeine, hyaluronic acid, peptides, or growth factors is a good idea to start. Having a neuromodulator like Botox injected into the eye area is the next step. Botox will inhibit the tiny muscles on the sides of the eye from contracting, preventing the lines from worsening and smoothing out the existing lines to a degree. Botox may be sufficient for you to be satisfied with the results, and it will prevent your lines from worsening; however, if more correction is needed, laser resurfacing treatments in the eye area may be an option. Although laser treatments require some healing time, they may be the best solution to eradicate those fine lines.

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Fine Lines around eyes

These lines can be treated with either a small amount of Botox or an Ultherapy treatment. I would consult with a dermatologist or Ultherapy provider in your area.

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

Fine Lines on Young Lady

Good skin care, avoid the sun, good hydration, adequate moisturizers, etc.

If necessary, Botox may reduce lines in the crows feet and a chemical peel for fine lines on the lid. Consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Treatment for lines around the eyes in your 20s

The fine lines oor crow's feet in your picture typically appear in the late 20s or early 30s. From your photo, it does not appear you are prematurely aging. Treatmetn with Botox is the best way to slow down the development of fine lines and is preventative if started at the first signs of fine lines. Your lines are most likely related to sun exposure. I recommend using daily sunscreen and sun proctive measures whenever possible.

Meg Cherry, MD
Birmingham Dermatologic Surgeon

Fine Lines Under Eyes Respond Well To Botox & Belotero Balance

People age at differing rates, which may be based upon genetic factors and utraviolet light photodamage. When there are just a few lines, as seems to be the case here, I have found that a microdroplet of a neuromodulator, such as Botox,  Dysport or Xeomin achieves gratifying results. If necessary a very small amount of Belotero Balance (which has little or no tendency for leading to the bluish Tyndall Effect common when injecting other hyaluronic acid products superficially) can further smooth and eliminate the fine line. Treating the under eye area is not for novice physicians, so I would be sure to seek out care by a board certified core aesthetic physician with extensive experience in injecting this area with these agents.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Reducing lines around the eyes

There are a number of good options here. Botulinum toxin such as Botox would be particularly good for the Crow's feet, and topical products with Vitamin C or retinol are good around the eyes, as are other medical-grade products that contain peptides and/or stem cells. Laser resurfacing may be a good option as well. Best to speak with a skin expert such as a dermatologist. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Fine lines around the eyes

This is a common concern.  An in-person consultation will serve you best.  If the issue is only skin related, a number of skin treatments may be possible including: skin care, laser, or skin only blepharoplasty (eyelid lift) excision if there is a skin excess.  See your local board-certified plastic surgeon who may be able to help advise you.  Good luck!