Can aldactone and birth control pill be taken together?

I have been prescribed Aldactone for my acne.(50mg twice a day). I was wondering if its safe to take it with the birth control pill (combination pill)? Will it lower the effect of the birth control pill? I'd rather avoid been pregnant than worry about acne at the moment. So should I stop the Aldactone?

Aldactone and birth control

Aldactone and oral contraception are very nice treatments for hormonal acne in women.  They are safe for use together.  Sometimes, some patients' potassium level can be raised by Aldactone and by certain oral birth controls, and your physician may recommend a blood test depending on your personal history and which birth control you are using.  I recommend following up with your dermatologist if you are concerned.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Thank you for your query. Aldactone can be taken along with oral contraceptives as there is minimal drug interactions between the two. But for more information  you can consult your physician or contact us. Hope it helps.All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Birth Control taken with Aldactone

In general the two are safe when taken together.  In fact, because aldactone can cause birth defects, I think it is safer to take aldactone when on a birth control pill.

Ted Lain, MD
Austin Dermatologist

Aldactone and ocs

They can be taken together and although antibiotics can slightly decrease the effectiveness of oral contraceptives aldactone does not. 

Morris Westfried, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Aldactone and birth control

Clearly doctors have prescribed the 2 medications. It would be prudent for you to discuss this matter and your concerns with the doctors that have prescribed these medications for you.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Winchester Facial Plastic Surgeon