Hit Cheek Piercing

I’ve had my cheeks pierced for about 6 months now, last month I got hit on my left cheek, swelled bad and developed a hard lump surrounding the piercing. Exercised pampering routines. It went down but not completely. Doesn’t hurt, doesn’t ooze green puss or smell (SOMETIMES clear or blood when I squeeze it) Piercer suggested seeing a derm. for a hydrocortisone shot. Any advice? Lastly, can anyone recommend the best OTC skin treatment for the bruising after having my face hit?

Doctor Answers 1

Trauma to cheek piercing

If there is a nodule, you should see a doctor, as the piercing when you were hit in the cheek could have caused a hematoma, which is a collection of blood, or a traumatic epidermoid inclusion cyst which represents a collection of a layer of skin, or there could be the start of an infection.  Treatment is different depending on the diagonsis, so you should see a dermatologist.

Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 37 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.