How to treat a new burn to prevent scarring? (Photos)

Hello, I recently burned the back of my leg (6inx3in area) with hot tea 3 weeks ago. It seems to be healing, but now I am concerned with scarring. I have been using merderma 2x a day and mix of jojoba and Frankencise oil 1x a day. I also keep it covered. Any advice to prevent scarring? Better treatments? Are the oils a good idea? Thank you!

Plato's Scar Serum for your scars

Apply Plato's Scar Serum followed by fractional lasers and pulsed dye laser to reduce the redness and improve texture. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Preventing scarring from a burn

Hi Jess,
It's probably best if you go see a board certified dermatologist for in-person guidance throughout the healing phase, but for now, I would avoid any oils (people can develop allergies to them, especially when using them on compromised or broken skin). Stick with thick coats of Vaseline or a ceramide-based moisturizer and most importantly keep the area completely protected from the sun. Depending on your skin type, at some point it may help you to start a topical lightening cream. Also, a laser such as the pulsed dye laser can be helpful in the early stage. Best of luck!

Elizabeth Geddes-Bruce, MD, MS
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon