Can stretch marks be removed or improved? (photos)

I don't understand why, I've always been around the same weight- I'm a small build but have stretch marks that run all the way Down my thighs and even some on the backs of my calfs. I am so embarrassed by them I hardly ever wear shorts. Is there any treatments out there that could improve or remove them?!

Treatment for stretch marks

Thank you for your question and photos. Stretch marks may be improved but unfortunately, not entirely removed. White stretch marks may be treated with the fractional C02 laser. This laser resurfaces and tightens skin through a series of 4-6 treatments done in two week intervals. The laser promotes collagen remodeling to make stretch marks less noticeable. Hope this helps. Best, Dr. Katz

Results are highly variable, even with different treatment methods.

In truth the results are extremely variable. Old stretch marks are harder to treat- my preferred option for old, white, silvery- papery stretch marks is a combination of CO2 fractional laser, or with INFINI RF and PRP. I also use Fraxel ReStore 1550, and also lasers in the 1440 wavelength. Of all the methods I find microneedling with RF energy and PRP the best, as it has the lowest rate of skin colour changes, and the fastest healing time. Results wise, it outperforms CO2 laser! Agree, I have had some success with Latiesse with microneedling for some, not all patients.  The truth is that stretch mark treatments are HIGHLY variable, depending on your own immune system, your skin type and the age of the stretch marks. Some get a 30% improvement, others up to 80%. An assessment is the very first step. Regard, Dr Davin Lim, Laser and aesthetic dermatologist. Brisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Stretch marks are a tough problem

There is no easy fix for these. These are classified as atrophic hypopigmented scars. There has been some success with fractional non ablative lasers, Infini, and fractional ablative lasers. For the pigmentation, Latisse has been used with lasers for improvement in some cases. Surgery can be used in some cases where a tummy tuck is also needed and the marks are on the belly.

Steven F. Weiner, MD