I have a permanent bruises, with an indentation that looks like cellulite. What treatment can fix this?

I had an injury years go that has left a bruise that will not go away. It has looked the same. There is also indentation over the area that looks like cellulite, and I can feel the pocket were it was drained. The injury on my thigh bruised and swelled up, which was drained. I can still feel the empty pocket that remained. I really want to know how I can get rid of this. I'm open to anything.

Doctor Answers 6


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Your cellulite problem is a common one. Fortunately, finally there are effective ways to minimize this problem. Perhaps the least invasive one is  Cellfina™. Cellfina is the only FDA-cleared minimally invasive, one-time procedure clinically proven to improve the appearance of cellulite for at least two years—the longest FDA-cleared duration for a cellulite treatment. A straightforward solution to cellulite, Cellfina™, combines a proven approach with innovative, proprietary technology, to produce precise, long-lasting results and has a high satisfaction rating on RealSelf. Together with Velashape 3, a non invasive procedure to help "shrink wrap the skin" and further minimize cellulite as a combination treatment is perhaps your best chance for taking care of this tough problem. Cellulaze is also a possible treatment but much more invasive

Bruises and indentation after injury

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Based on your description, you probably need to have the scar tissue causing the indentation released and fat grafted to the area. The bruising needs to be evaluated in person. Best bet is to obtain a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist in your area for an evaluation and description of treatment options.

Indentation has appearance of cellulite

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thanks for your question and we always recommend that you make an appointment and have an assessment by a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who can best evaluate the area you are concerned about, make an appropriate diagnosis, and come up with a game plan that makes sense. If this is from an old injury, there may have been an area where the fat was actually destroyed, which we call fat necrosis. This can be treated with fillers or with fat transfer, and again, it will require a proper diagnosis before one moves forward with these options. I am sure there may be some skin texture changes, which may be similar to cellulite but what you are describing may be more than just that, and again, a proper evaluation will allow a proper treatment plan.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon
3.9 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Indentation that looks like cellulite.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question.   The description you gave of an indentation after injury is usually from fat necrosis. The treatment for fat necrosis is fat grafting. You should go for a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Cellulite -- Vaser Smooth, ThermiRF, Cellfina, Fat Transfer, Subcision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Cellfina is one of the best treatments for cellulite with fat transfer and sculptra.  However, the bruising would need to be evaluated in person to determine what is best.  Dr Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

Indention after trauma - fat grafting

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Sounds to me like you need to correct the contour, and the best way to do this will likely be with fat grafting. This could fill it in nicely and perhaps change the skin or help cover up discoloration. Pic would help to know. 

Cain R. Linville, MD
Houston Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.