What kind of laser treatment do you suggest for my acne scars? I am of Asian descent. (Photo)

My derm recommended a series of pixel laser treatments, will this type of laser penetrate deep enough?

Combination lasers and energy devices, focal dermal fillers

For the best results you will require different treatments, 6 months ago I would say Co2 fractional lasers, but now it would be INFINI RF as the choice for me. This really is a game changer in regards to scar revision in darker skin types. You will require 3-4 sessions, followed by possible surgical subcision and dermal filling. 

Attached another procedure I performed on Asian skin with erbium laser and TCA CROSS (see web reference) 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Fractional Laser +

We have great success in treating acne scars with the Deep Fx fractionated CO2 laser.  You should expect a series of 2-3 treatments for optimal improvement.  A combination of fillers and subscision can be used for the deepest scars.  In good health, Dr. Keel

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

Acne scarring requires a combination approach to improvement with lasers, fillers, TCA cross, subcision and sometimes even acne surgery. I suggest seeing an expert for treatment. Best, Dr. Emer.

Laser for Acne Scars and Asian Skin

I treat many patients with Asian skin and the best laser that I have found for scars is the eMatrix laser.  You will need at least 3 treatments but the eMatrix allows you to penetrate deeply and heal these scars and produce new collagen.  I find that micro needling is not as effective for these deeper scars.  Best, Dr. Green

Laser for acne scars... deep enough?

Your question is an excellent one. Most recently, we have been using our lasers less often. As you suggested, lasers only penetrate to a certain depth. In addition, lasers don't lift up the base of the scar. If one were to use a laser for depressed scars, subscison to lift the base is recommended. We have been performing radiofrequency microneedling  (infini) due to its ability to penetrate deeper and volumize underneath the scars. It has additional benefit in your case because it spares the epidermis to a greater extent than any laser. Often we do combine radiofrequency microneedling (infini) with subscison. You will need to pre-treat and post treat with bleaching creams to decrease the potential for hyperpigmentation. Find an acne scar expert who has multiple devices  and is willing to show you photos. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon