Will silicone tape strips help a 12 year old tummy tuck scar that's a little raised and dark in color?

Post Op Scar

Silicone strips have been shown to help soften scars and improve the appearance and are available over the counter at most drug stores. Generic brands will be more cost-effective and are often sold near the topical scar creams. Tailor the size of the strip to fit your wound by cutting it, peel off the adhesive and apply over your scar. You may wear them all day or just at night depending on the location starting 3 weeks after your procedure.  However, seeing as you are 12 years post op, I do not think they would give you the result you are hoping for.  Microneedling is a great non-surgical treatment that can help improve the appearance of scars by stimulating collagen production and fresh, new tissue.  Without seeing photos, it is hard to determine the number of treatments you will need. I suggest making an appointment with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to determine the number of sessions you will need.  Another tip to keep in mind (especially with the approaching summer months) is to always apply sunscreen before outdoor exposure, as the sun can significantly impact the appearance of your scar.

Hilton Head Island Plastic Surgeon

Top expert for tummy tuck scars in Los Angeles

Dark scars can be improved with Melarase creams and Plato's Scar Serum; followed by injections, laser resurfacing, and Vascular laser. 

Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Scar on Body -- Silicone Gel, Growth Factors, Fraxel, microneedling, VIVA, Vascular Laser (ProYellow, VBeam)

I suggest seeing an expert for consideration of laser treatments at this time along with steroid/5fu injections and possibly microneedling. Best, Dr. Emer