HCG Diet - I'm considering the HCG diet.

I am 45 years old and currently weigh 165 pounds at 5'4". I have tried change in diet, exercise, no carbs, no sugar, etc. While I usually notice loss of about 2 to 5 pounds, I just can't seem to get great success. My desire is not to be skinny, just smaller... Like 20-25 pounds smaller! Is this a "legitimate" treatment?? Safe?? Please help!!!

HCG Diet

The old HCG Diet has had multiple studies that showed that it doesn't work for long term weight loss. However, newer diets that use the power of HCG to change metabolism do work if done properly and under the continued supervision of a diet professional.

Losing weight is not easy for most people who are overweight. A lot depends on you and your personality type, lifestyle, metabolism, and attitude. If you want to learn how to lose weight and keep it off for the rest of your life, you should do a program that encompasses all these aspects.

Three main aspects for losing weight are eating right, exercising adequately, and getting support regularly. A restricted diet is necessary, such as < 1000 cals/day. Limit carbs such as sweets, breads, pastas; make sure you eat enough protein, at least 50 gm/day; eat lots of vegetables and some low glycemic fruits; some nuts and oils, such as olive oil. Exercise regularly, every day if you can, with good vigorous activities. See a diet counselor or physician at least every other week; if you have a support person, use them.

For further information on my plan, The True Diet, go to my website (see link below). I also utilize methods to change your metabolism, to make sure hormones are optimized, to lower inflammation, and much more. It’s not just calories in should be less than calories out. Good Luck.

Grapevine OB/GYN

Doesnt work

The HCG diet does not work - people will lose weight on it, but after it is done they regain the weight they lost and then gain some more. HCG itself has been proven not to work in many tests. Rather than a diet, look critically at what you eat -- journal everything, and make it a point to change some of what you eat.  Do not do a "low carb" if you are going to go back to eating carbs. Instead, increase vegetables, decrease meats - and cut out junk food. No salads - just vegetables. 

Terry Simpson, MD, FACS
Scottsdale Bariatric Surgeon