How can I get rid of pitted acne scares and acne? (Photo)

I had acne since I was 16 and im now 25. I tried almost all the medications available, from doxycycline, minocycline, tazorac, benzoyl peroxide, Accutane, to over the counter medications and nothing really seems to work. Accutane work a little but didn't clear my under the skin acne/ white heads. I have pitted acne scares and I just hate my skin because I dont know what to do anymore to it to clear it.

Acne scar treatments for dark skin

For dark skin, I would use a combination of subcision and ematrix RF to help even out your skin contour and color. 

Dr. Karamanoukian
Realself100 Surgeon

Highly effective laser treatment to reduce the appearance of pitted acne scars

ProFractional Therapy is a highly effective laser treatment to reduce the appearance of pitted acne scars. The laser creates small channels in the skin that help to release the deeper tethers of pitted acne scars and promote collagen production which results in smoother looking skin. A topical numbing cream will be applied to the skin prior to the procedure which lasts about 20 minutes. Immediately after the procedure, redness resembling a sunburn will occur. Healing takes a few days but most patients feel comfortable returning to work in a few days.

Profractional can be combined with MicroLaser Peel which resurfaces the skin to improve overall tone in the skin. These procedures are minimally invasive and require a short period of down time.

Broad Band Light Therapy (BBL) is an effective alternative to oral acne treatments. The wavelengths in the blue light spectrum attack the p. acne bacteria which are responsible for acne breakouts. A series of 8 weekly treatments is recommended depending on the severity. The session lasts approximately 20 minutes with minimal discomfort. Temporary mild skin reddening and swelling may occur for 1-2 days following the treatment but can be covered with makeup.

Discussing theses treatments combined with a home skin care regimen with your provider can significantly improve the appearance of acne scars and lesions.

Fadi Nukta, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon

Best Treatment for Acne Scars Black Skin NYC

I have had a great deal of experience with dark skin and acne scars. I would not recommend Fraxel or these fast lasers or TCA with black skin. There is too much risk of hyoer-pigmentation. I would recommend doing the EMatrix laser since with the new tip you can penetrate deeply without the risk of burns or darkness. Please consult an expert. Best, Dr. Green

FAST Treatment for Pitted Acne Scars

The best treatment for pitted acne scars is the Focal Acne Scar Treatment (F.A.S.T.) which uses the fractional CO2 laser on only specific areas of acne scarring on the face at an increased energy level as opposed to previous methods where the laser energy was used at moderate levels on the entire face. Pitted acne scars (scars that have a loss of tissue on the skin) respond incredibly well to the F.A.S.T. Laser Procedure. We consider the F.A.S.T. treatment to be the gold standard for the treatment of acne scars.

Eric Schweiger, MD

Treatment for pitted acne scars

In my hands I would likely recommend treatment with TCA CROSS.  This involves precise application of trichloracetic acid into each small scar.  It is not very invasive and is effective.  Multiple treatment sessions are necessary for best results.  Treatment is technique sensitive so make sure to see an experienced doctor. 
Regards,
Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Facial acne scars? ENGLEWOOD Cliffs, NJ

In my opinion, you have acne pits, boxcars and a few ice picks. Treatment for these type of scars include TCA cross, Micro Needling, RF microneedling (infini), ablative and non-ablative lasers. Multiple treatments will be necessary. You will need to pre-treat and post treat with bleaching creams to prevent hyperpigmentation. Find an acne scar expert who will show you pictures. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon