I'm 23 year old w/ nasolabial wrinkle on one side? Or is it not a wrinkle? (photos)

I have recently noticed an indent on one side of my face, in the nasolabial fold. I don't remember it always being there. I am 23 years old. I have a significant overbite which I plan to have corrected, and am wondering if this is the cause of the indent. If not, is this a wrinkle, and what can I do to correct it? Is it usual to have such a large wrinkle at 23? I did smoke cigarettes from 16-21.

Nasolabial fold

Thanks for your question and photos.

Good for you for pitching the cigarettes! I am not suggesting that the 5 years of smoking, however, was causative with your particular concern, but, certainly, long-term smoking absolutely contributes to accelerated facial aging.

I am not entirely able to comment on any possible asymmetry of your nasolabial folds as I cannot compare your two sides from the lighting of your photos. However, nasolabial folds are almost universally present in adult human faces, and their presence does not necessarily represent a flaw that needs "fixed". You appear to have a very pleasant lower face. Use/overuse of fillers in the nasolabial folds and around the mouth may yield an undesirable result of a looking chimpanzee-like. For someone as young as you are, I might recommend a more holistic approach first - healthy diet, sensible exercise, ultraviolet radiation (sun) precautions, microdermabrasion, and facials, and good skin care products. Also (and I hope you take this as a complement), it is possible that 5 pounds of weight gain might well look good on your face. I hope you find this helpful =)

Nasolabial fold

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for your question and photos.

Sleep? Muscle asymmetry?

Hi Pandasaurus,
This kind of one sided wrinkle can be caused by a number of things.  However, it is very typically very readily improved.  We can do that in a number of ways but the most common way would be to simply fill in the depression underneath the wrinkle.  That is a very quick in office procedure with very little recovery time. You'd most likely be back to your regular routine in an hour!

Sleep? Muscle asymmetry?

Hi Pandasaurus,

Nasolabial Folds

This can be treated with fillers. I suggest seeing an expert that uses cannulas to limit complications. Best, Dr. Emer.

Nasolabial Folds