Best treatment for this type of acne scar? (Photo)

I've been dealing with bad acne for a year and it's now starting to clear up. With this acne has formed my acne scars, which appear to be boxcar scars I believe. I really want to be able to find a sufficient treatment for this because the acne and scars have been very persistent over the past year. So if you can, please let me know which treatment is best.

Injections to cysts, then treat scars

I suggest you see a general dermatologist to ensure you acne is in remission before any scar treatments. The big cysts can been injected with anti-inflammatory meds to immediately decrease the size, this helps to minimise scars. 

Acne scar revision is a specialised field. For the best results, one should target the acne scar type with ideal treatments. For example deep ice pick scars, and narrow box car scars can be treated with TCA CROSS peels, mixed scars, rolling, and atrophic scars treated with fractional devices such as Fraxel, fractional lasers, PRP and INFINI radiofrequency. Atrophic scars (depressions) can be treated with either fat grafts, or with HA dermal fillers. Tethered and anchored scars are best treated with surgery.

The majority of patients will have a collection of different scar types, and hence a tailored treatment METHOD will be best. Careful examination, especially under angled lighting with scar mapping will give you an understanding of what are the best options for your scars.

Dr Davin Lim.

Laser, surgical & aesthetic dermatologist.

Brisbane, Australia.

Injections to cysts, then treat scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dr Davin Lim.

Brisbane, Australia.

Acne and acne scar treatment

I would treat with Retin A, a good cleanser, and possible chemical peels. Your skin is type 4 or higher, so lasers are tough to use but possible. Sometimes oral antibiotics are used. Infini can be used for the scars. Bellafill for the deeper scars.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Acne and acne scar treatment

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Acne scars

Hi seen you pic..As you have  active acne out breaks with pustule it requires treatment with oral and topical antibiotics.once it subsides do consider topical retinoids and collagen induction therapy with microneedling.which can help you to fade your  acne scars with multiple sessions.however do seek an in person consultation with a board certified dermatologist and plan your treatment .

Acne scars

Acne Scars and Best Treatment

I would recommend a combination of injections of Bellafill or Restylane and eMatrix or Fraxel laser to help treat these scars.  It will take several treatments spaced at least a month apart to improve these scars.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green 

Acne Scars and Best Treatment

Acne & Scar Solutions--Peels, Lasers, microneedling/prp, skin care

Most often a combination approach is needed to deal with acne breakouts/scarring. I suggest a formal consultation with a cosmetic dermatologist who is an expert in lasers, peels, and skin care to determine the best regimen for you.  Best, Dr. Emer

Thank you for the photos. It is good to get the active acne under control to prevent any future acne scar formation and the treatments are better done with no active acne because there is a chance to spread bacteria and make the acne worse. First some products used daily for acne and then you can focus on the collogen production to smooth out the skin. A great tool is collagen induction therapy or microneedling. Several treatments are required for acne scarring but the results are great with little to no downtime. I would look into this and make an appointment with a cosmetic Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist. Good Luck!

CO2 or Microneedling

Acne scars can be difficult to treat.  You are doing a great job thinking about this now, as it is much easier to treat scars soon after their formation.  My patients have had success with multiple microneedling treatments with FDA-approved microneedling devices like the Vivace and Infini.  These combine microneedling with radio frequency helping the skin reform in the scarred areas.  You might also have success with 2-6 fractional CO2 laser treatments.

Good luck!

Farhan Taghizadeh, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

CO2 or Microneedling

Good luck!

Farhan Taghizadeh, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon