Why Can't Acne Scars Be Completely Removed?

Laser scar removal reduces the appearance of a scar by 90%. Wouldn't a second treatment take care of the remaining 10%? If not, is it at least possible to raise the "pit like" scar back to the level of the skin? For example, for a scar 5mm wide:

  • 1 treatment: scar 3mm wide
  • 2 treatments: scar 1mm wide
  • 3 treatments: scar gone

Doctor Answers 1

It depends on the depth of the scar

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Resurfacing treatments like laser or dermabrasion, can only be performed to a certain depth of the skin. If you go too deep, you can actually scar the patient worse. Some acne scars go deep into the reticular dermis and therefore will improve, not disappear 100%. As is always the case, doctors can never duplicate the work of the Divine. This is why an ounce of prevention with acne is worth a pound of cure with lasers.

New Orleans Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.