Is Arnica Just As Good As Sinecch?

My surgeon has suggested I take Sinecch for my upcoming procedure. My last surgeon said the (cheaper) Arnica tablets that melt under your tongue are just as effective as the brand name Sinecch. What do you think?

Is Arnica just as good as Sinecch?

Hello! Thank you for your question! The recommendations for the use of these homeopathic medications are surgeon preference. I typically suggest the use of Arnica Montana to decrease swelling and bruising. It is an herbal medication that is propagated from the seeds of an herb. I, as well as my patients, have seen some benefit with the treatment in the postoperative period. Although there is little evidence to its effectiveness, I believe there is some benefit, and no harm. I recommend 4-5 tablets under the tongue 4x/day for 3-5 days prior and 5-7 days after the procedure. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Bruisestick ointment for Arnica after surgery

Our office recommends the Bruisestick ointment before and after surgery to reduce bruising and swelling in the surgical area. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Arnica can help with swelling

Sinecch has been formulated specifically for surgery and it comes with easy to follow instructions.  Generic Arnica is probably fine. However, I have never been able to have anyone at the health food store explain which Arnica tablets to get (they have labels like 6X, 12X, etc).

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon