What type of treatment do you recommend for melasma for people with dark pigmentation? (photo)

I'm Hispanic and have melasma on just one of my cheeks. I have seen numerous dermatologists and used a variety of skin lighteners and brightening treatments, but nothing seems to help. One of the dermatologists recomended peelings, but I have acne as well and it made me break out a lot. Thank you for your help!

Melasma

Chemical peels, hydroquinone , retinoid creams and complexion blending all work well.  There are different levels of peels and some are more aggressive and help with hyperpigmentation more than others.  Complexion blending is a combination of microdermabrasion and laser at one setting.  It was been very successful for us in treating dark spots.

Washington Dermatologist

Melasma unresponsive to topical therapy

Melasma is a resilient condition which can be challenging to treat. Different forms of topical agents can be helpful at softening the pigmentation associated with melasma. Depending on the degree of response to each of these therapies, more aggressive therapies can be employed.

One of the very effective forms of treatment includes Fraxel Dual.

William Numa, MD, FACS
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Melasma in dark skin

There are many treatments for melasma.  On many patients hydroquinones, Vitamin C or Vitamin K creams, and Retinols and Retin-A combined with chemical peels or lasers helps Melasma improve.  The other treatment that I love with fabulous results is Cosmelan.  Cosmelan is from Brazil and is a topical cream that is applied at the office and is then removed at home several hours later.  A follow-up treatment is done 3 weeks later.  We have had some amazing results with Cosmelan.  Please find a board certified dermatologist who uses medical grade Cosmelan for the best results.  Future sun protection is critical in maintaining your results.