Treatment for Sunken Eyes at 24? (photo)

I am 24 years old and have developed sunken eyes. After using an eye cream, I had a headache behind my eyeballs and since then, my eyes have sunk in and have deep, dark depressions around them. It has been 2 weeks and there has been no improvement. I was wondering what kind of options are available. Will gaining weight help?

Doctor Answers 5

Treatment for Sunken Eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If this has only been noticeable for the last 2 weeks I would give it some more time, as things may change. If they do not, an injection of Restylane would help to fill the area nicely.

Greenwood Village Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Sunken Eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes, facial fillers will work very nicely for your cosmetic condition.  Be willing to make small changes over a few weeks in order to get the best results.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Combining Juvederm UltraXC With A Little Radiesse Works Well For Tear Troughs, Hollows and Dark Circles Under the Eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Tear troughs, hollows, and dark circles are common problems of the lower lids. It has become standard practice to treat this region with lighter weight fillers, like Juvederm or Restylane, to lift, straighten, and contour this region. Occasionally, if fillers are inadvertently placed too superficially, a bluish discoloration related to light scattering (a phenomenon known as the Tyndall effect) can occur, which can actually make the dark circles more prominent. Belotero, a new hyaluronic acid product, has been manufactured to avoid this. However, I have found that the addition of a tiny amount of Radiesse, a whitish-colored filler, to Juvederm UltraXC, to be an excellent way of treating tear troughs and hollows and lightening existing dark circles. However, only an experienced, board certified aesthetic dermatology or plastic surgeon injector should attempt to treat this area in this fashion.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

You might also like...

Fillers great for lower eyelids!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You certainly would benefit from filler to the lower eyelids. My products of choice are Restylane or Belotero. Restylane occasionally can cause a bluish hue under the skin (Tyndall effect), which is less likely with Belotero. You may require as much as 1cc per side, but the results will last a year or more.

I am concerned, however, about your complaints of pain and progressive sinking of your eyes. Is it possible that your eyeballs are actually protruding more? You may have a hyperactive thyroid, or another medical condition. I would recommend seeing an ophthalmologist or neurologist FIRST before receiving filler in your lower lids.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

Sunken eyes at age 24

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

  Well.  It seems obvious to me that you have very beautiful eyes at age 24 and should not be paying them so much mind.  Nonetheless, I would stop the eye cream which is causing you headaches.  And I would not gain weight--it will not do anything for your eye appearance.  As a last resort, you could try an HA filler. 

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 140 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.