Stitches Rejection After Mommy Makeover. Options For Scar Revision? (photo)

I had a tummy tuck and breast lift two years ago and rejected the stitches in a major way. The scar on my breast is almost 2 inches wide! The scaring is the same on my stomach. They go from practically invisible to 2-3 inches wide! Is there any way to fix this without further MAJOR surgery? I do NOT want to have that surgery again.

Options for scar revision?

Hello! Thank you for the question! It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. I typically allow after 4-6 weeks postop and once fully healed. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself. Lasers may also be an option for the appearance of your scars. If still no result, consideration for lasers, steroids, or scar revision may be entertained. Best wishes!

Laser or surgery to revise mommy makeover scar

Scar revision surgery can be performed in small stages to minimize recovery.  Another option is to undergo fractional laser skin resurfacing to retexture the skin. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Scars after mommy makeover

Sorry to learn you having scar problems. It is good that you gave time for the scars to settle. Any thing after two years is likely to be permanent. You can try non surgical methods, such as laser or dermabrasion. These are good to flatten an elevated scar. But probably have limited effect on wide and depressed scars. They can also improve the scar color.

Ultimately, scar revision may your best option. You can still run into the same problems you had after the mommy makeover, however.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD