I have acne scars on my nose: quite a few ice pick and sebaceous hyperplasia. (photo)

What is my best course of action? How can remove the sebaceous hyperplasia and the ice pick scars? What would the average cost be to get this fixed?

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

Lasers, microneedling/PRP, and dermabrasion all help your condition.  Even some isotretinoin can help.  Please see an expert as the type of skin you have needs expert care.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Acne Scars and Sebaceous Hyperplasia and Treatment

I find that a combination of electrodessication, lasers, and intralesional cortisone injections would improve these scars greatly. Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Acne Scar Solutions

HI, we have found success with combining BellaFill Injections along with a dermapen/laser procedure for treating acne scars. This is the best combination to fill in and smooth out the scarring. Good luck!

Elevated acne scars on the nose

This can be treated by cutting them down with a laser. This aggressive approach can lead to its own scarring so going to someone who has experience with this would be good. Don't worry this can be markedly improved though.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Acne pick scars

The most effective means of removing acne pick scars to date has been simple excision. Other modalities have not been shown to provide an effective treatment.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Best Treatment for Acne Scars & Sebaceous Hyperplasia

Dear Chinkdub, 

Thank you for sharing your photo and your experience. I find that the best treatment for acne scarring in skin with any color is to first pre-treat the skin with a brightening cream for several weeks in an effort to keep the treatments as safe as possible (i.e. prevent hyperpigmentations secondary to laser or topical interventions) . Then, we recommend that our patients come in for a series of alternating ablative treatments (Collagen PIN micro needling devices) with non ablative treatments (fractional non-ablative lasers). The beauty of alternating these treatments (usually every 3-6 weeks) is that is allows us to address all levels of the scarring, from superficial to deep. 

For treatment of the sebaceous hyperplasia (enlarged oil glands), which is common in patients with a history of acne, we like the precise treatment with topical numbing and then cauterizing the gland with a hyfrecator or handheld cautery device. This process is quick and relatively painless, and can be done the same day as the laser or Collagen PIN treatments. 

I hope this helps!

Neda Mehr, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologist