Pimple Like Bumps on Shaft of Penis? (photo)

I've had these bumps on the shaft of my penis for some time now, a couple of which almost seem to be permanent. They are about the size of a pin head, normal flesh color, and often I can squeeze a white puss like substance out of them. They seem to occur mostly around the hair follicles. some times, but rarely, these bumps will become inflamed and slightly sore. Any ideas as to what this may be, and should I be worried?

Doctor Answers 2

Fordyce spots on penis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is difficult to say for sure, but it looks and sounds like you have Fordyce spots.  These are harmless and not sexually transmitted.  I have had success treating these with the CO2 laser.  It would be best for you to see a dermatologist to establish a diagnosis.  Take care, Dr. Groff

San Diego Dermatologist
4.9 out of 5 stars 50 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There is a distinct list of probable diagnoses, and closer examination may be necessary   I suggest you visit a board certified dermatologist for a consultation. 


Dr C.


Ivan Camacho, MD, FAAD
Coral Gables Dermatologic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.