I had a bit of an accident last year and now I have an embarrassing red scar under my eyebrow. What are my options? (Photo)

What sort of treatments are available to me? From what I've read, fillers are expensive and temporary - are there any non-surgical products that I could be using until I need lasers? I wouldn't mind if the mark was white or less colored even the red makes it stand out so much. Please help I don't want this on my face forever.

Plato's Scar Serum and Hidef Scar Protocol for scars

Apply Plato's Scar Serum. I would recommend our Hidef Scar Protocol that includes surgical revision, fractional lasers, fillers, and skin resurfacing. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

For Linear Traumatic Scars: Subcision To Elevate & Microneedling To Blend Surface Color & Texture

Literally not more than five minutes ago, I finished up with two patients in a row with exactly the same type of problem. Both had old scars, one from trauma to her chin several years earlier and the other from reconstructive surgery following the removal of a large skin cancer from her forehead about six years ago. As in your case here, in these patients, there were two main elements that needed to be addressed in order to be able to achieve a significant improvement in appearance. One is to elevate the depressed portion of the scars so that they become flush with the surface of the surrounding skin. The second is to improve the surface tone and texture of the scars so that they can better blend with the surrounding normal skin. Subcision was used to elevate the depressed portion and medical microneedling was employed for improving the surface pigmentary and textural irregularities.Both are relatively inexpensive and can be performed quite quickly. Although for the time being, there is no currently available treatment that can entirely eliminate a mature scar (one older than three months), the treatments we do have available can improve the appearance of scars so that they are less visible and more easily camouflaged.  Unfortunately, topical scar treatments have proven of limited value and in my estimation are not worth the money. Likewise, I have not been impressed with the use of relatively expensive fraxel lasers, finding their results often variable, inconsistent and subtle and much more supported by device manufacturer marketing hype than hard science. To learn more about each of these procedures, you can check out the archives of RealSelf.com. Make sure to consult with a board certified aesthetic physician with expertise and experience in treating all forms of scarring. Best of luck to you.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD