After Double Jaw Surgery: Canted Jaw!! Can only bite on ONE TOOTH. Will a second surgery help?

I had jaw surgery (maxillary impaction, mandibular advancement, and genioplasty) 3 months ago for sleep apnea. Since my bite was good to begin with, I opt for arch bars to hold my jaw together instead of getting braces. However, now my lower jaw is completely tilted to the side and I can only bite on my last tooth on the left side. Furthermore, I now have facial asymmetry and an extremely low lip line. Will a second surgery help?

Post operative complications

It is difficult to assess without a photo but it is possible that you have a cant and malocclusion.  Because of the arch bars, occasionally, the bars can slip and your occlusion can move.  I would discuss with your surgeon, ask for photos to review together both before, and afters.  Make sure you have views of your occlusion as well.

If indeed you have true malocclusion or a severe cant, this probably cannot be improved without revision surgical intervention now at 3 months post op.

Jaw surgery

It is difficult to say. Sometimes braces can correct minor issues. Most times either the upper or lower jaw surgery is indicated to correct this problem. This is true especially if you have asymmetry

Majid Jamali, DMD
New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Abnormal jaw cant after jaw surgery.

Maxillomandibular advancement for the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea is the most effective operation for reducing the apnea hypopnea index and improving cognition associated with OSA. It you have a complicated cant after jaw surgery,  I would only consider a surgeon who specializes in OSA surgery and MMA to evaluate. 

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

IS another surgery needed? #RealSelf100

Hello Sam,
It sounds like another surgery may be needed.  It's too bad you couldn't use a dental sleep apnea oral appliance.  Of times, these dental devices work as a great alternative to CPAP machines, and in some cases, they can prevent the need for surgery.  Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions.
Sarah Thompson, DMD
Real Self 100