Hollow dark circles. Hereditary? How to get rid of them? (Photo)

What would be the best solution in improving my hollow dark circles. It's not just under my eyes it's around them. It makes me feel insecure I need help in improving the appearance by 60% atleast. Are there creams? I want to avoid injections as I have heard they are not great for ethnic skin. I need something that can reduce the appearance ASAP. I understand it's hard to completely remove the circles but I really need some professional help

Doctor Answers 5

Eyelid contour #blepharoplasty , eye shaping #Restylane #microfatgrafting , #darkcircles under eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear FleurBlanc

Thank you for your question and photos!

The appearance of the eyes can be dramatically changed by changing the shape of the cheek/hollow under the eye.  The change can be made by adding volume to fill in the hollow with removing the 'eye bags'.  There are surgical and non surgical approaches to make this change. 

With Warm Regards
Trevor M Born MD

Toronto Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 126 reviews

Dark circles

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
A lot of the dark circle is caused by the hollow area of the lower lid.  You also have some early fat prolapse just above the tear trough which will cast a shadow and make the area appear even darker.  This is a tough area to improve with laser in darker skin tones.  Filler in this area, either Belotero or Restylane can make a big difference in the dark circles so I would try that first.     

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 31 reviews

Under eye concealers are difficult because you need to match your natural skin color which can be a challenge.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
No one will guarantee the amount to improvement that treatments will improve the dark circle.  The safest way to help this area is Restylane filler.  What it is doing is filling the hollow and changing how light reflects off of the skin.  Done well, it is very powerful and service can last a year or more.  Do not let anyone laser these or chemically peel this area with can damage the skin.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Dark Circles

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dark circles in your case are a result of both volume loss and hyper pigmentation.in order to correct the problem you will need to augment the loss of volume with an injectable such as Restylane or Juvederm Voluma or your own fat .However your hyperpigmentation should be addressed with topical medication such as 4 percent hydroquinone and Elure,and lumixyl These topical treatments take several weeks to months to work.Remember this is a combination of topical skin treatment with injectable not one or the other. Good luck and be patient!  

Joel E. Kopelman, MD, FACS
Ridgewood Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hollow dark circles. Hereditary? How to get rid of them?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Most expert experienced artistic plastic surgeons have a variety of procedures, both non-surgical and surgical, at their disposal to produce excellent cosmetic results in the appropriately selected patient: Botox or Dysport, temporary hyaluronic acid fillers like Restylane, long-lasting micro-fat grafts, blepharoplasties, or combinations of procedures. Each has benefits and drawbacks and dependson desired outcome and individual anatomy.

In a patient with your inherited anatomy, a blepharoplasty will produce the best and longest lasting cosmetic result. The darkness may be less obvious, but will not be totally eliminated.

Following the advice of anyone who would presume to tell you what to do without seeing photos and without taking a full medical history, examining you, feeling and assessing your tissue tone, discussing your desired outcome and fully informing you about the pros and cons of each option would not be in your best interest. Find a plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with and one that you trust and listen to his or her advice. The surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, Californ

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.