Non Surgical Lip Lines Treatment for Former Smoker?

I quit smoking after 27 years. I never had lines above my lips until about 6 months ago.

I quit 2 years ago. I am 44 years old and they seem to get deeper every day. What can I do? No surgery please, to help this problem. I am starting to look 60 instead of a woman in her 40's.

Lip line options

Thank you for your question and for sharing your concerns with us. Lip lines can be a very challenging concern to address, however there are a number of options that can help improve these lines. Often, the more different modalities you use the more impact you can have on the lines and still appear very natural:
1) Botox and Dysport: Can be used to weaken the amount of pursing that your lip muscles can do, and hence limits how much deeper the lines can get. This treatment is repeated every 2-3 months
2) Restylane Silk or Juvederm: thinh dermal filler's are a great way to directly address the fine lines. This is repeated every 6-9 months
3) Ultherapy: Helps to create a little more dermal thickening. Can be done as a series to help build on the results. Should be done before fillers.
4) Profound: Micro needling radiofrequency can be used to help build collagen and elastin in the deeper skin tissue.
5) Fractionated CO2: Can be to used to smooth the superficial fine lines and create a smoother look.
It is important to choose which modalities would be helpful for you. It is also important to find a plastic surgeon or dermatologist with experience to help with your assessment and develop a plan that can help address your concerns.

Smokers lines on the upper lip - nonsurgical treatment

If the wrinkles are not apparent at rest and show up only when pursing the lips, they are considered dynamic and will respond to minute amounts of Botox injected into the muscle of the upper lip. This will last 3 months. If the wrinkles are etched into the skin and evident at rest, then careful filling with a filler like Evolence (porcine collagen) is very effective and lasts one year.

Stephen Mandy, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon