What laser or other treatment(s) are recommended for large pores with some acne scarring? I am 61 years old.

I have oily to normal/dry skin; some wrinkles, but not too bad. I have tried Retinoids, but skin cannot seem to tolerate it without fairly bad redness, irritation, weeping and deep peeling. Also, I even still have blackheads and clogged pores even though I use scrubs and masks. My face is an oxymoron. The harder I try, the worse it seems to be.

Fractionated CO2 laser resurfacing works well for large pores, acne scarring, wrinkles and sun damage

Fractionated CO2 laser resurfacing works well for large pores, acne scarring, wrinkles and sun damage. It is absolutely true that this should be done along with optimal skin care and maintenance treatments for best results.

Cleveland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Acne Scarring -- Lasers (Fraxel, Co2/Erbium, VIVA, Intensif); Microneedling/PRP, Fillers (Bellafill); Subcision; Punch Excision

Acne scarring needs a combination of treatments including lasers, RF, microneedling/PRP, skin care for long term improvement.  Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Acne scarring and large pores

I would try either the Infini or laser resurfacing for this problem. A topical with growth factors can make you tolerate the Retinol better. Other options include PRP, subcision, TCA Cross. An in person evaluation will help determine the best path of treatment.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Large pores from acne scarring and problems with retinoids

Large pores and scars from acne can somewhat fit into the description of an ice pick scar. Ice pick scars respond differently than boxcar scars and rolling scars. Ice pick scars require that the skin be raised up to the rest of the level of the skin and often just depressed scars fit into that category as well but with ice pick scars the traumas limited to the Superficial side of your skin. If you look at the skin anatomy you're going to find that there's different layers. There's the Superficial dermis and then there's reticular dermis and deeper parts of the skin. The ice pick scars reside in the upper layers of the skin which require more surface treatments and special ways to treat it through surface treatments. In terms of your Retinoids, you may want to consider cutting down on doing them everyday to maybe once a week. You can find something that works for you but you have to find something that works for you in particular. So I would tell you to cut down on the frequency of your retinoid use and do it either once two or three, times week.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Acne Scaring

Great Question!  We are having great results for acne scaring with our Micropen using PRP. It is a micro-needling device containing 12 tiny needles to create superficial micro-injuries to the skin. This process initiates the skin's repair process by causing inflammation. Using the PRP enhances the process by giving your skin your own stem cells and proteins.   Our patients are loving this treatment.  Best of luck to you!

Shahin Fazilat, MD, FACS
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon