Is there a way to get Laser Treatment or any kind of treatment for my acne scars on my face? (photo)

Hello all, I'm curious to know how to remove these acne dark spots on my face. I've used skin lightening creams and everything from my dermatologists and I've gave them time. I have not gotten any results. I would love to know if there was a way to remove them wether with a laser or anything at this point. It's very embarrassing to me. I don't care about prices or anything, I just need them removed. I'm a Black/Asian mixed male at 21 years old. 

Dark marks from acne - What will help?

The primary step to take first is to make sure your acne is under control. Acne inflammation sets the stage for even more hyper pigmentation and tissue destruction. Staying compliant with your acne treatment program will go a long way to preventing additional scarring and discoloration.

Your photo indicates you'll need a somewhat complicated treatment path as your ethnic mix means you have to be super careful about the choices you make. 

Laser "like" treatments that utilize radio frequency would likely be a safer option for your skin, as would be micro needling. Along with pigment suppressors, you can develop a skin care and skin correction plan that will bring improvements.

Expect it to be a process and don't expect a single session of anything to do the trick. Also, be ultra rigorous in your use of sun screen and know how to use a sunscreen or sun block correctly.

My best recommendation is to seek out a board certified dermatologist who has experience treating multi-ethnic skin and who can show you some of their patient outcomes. Also, with any practice, ask which devices they use for acne scarring. The more options, the better.

Unfortunately, insurance rarely covers acne scarring, so the costs can add up.  

I wish you the best possible success in your goals. Acne scarring and discoloration are definitely two of the most troubling conditions anyone must cope with.

Acne Scar Solutions with lasers, fillers, subcision and microneedling/prp, TCA cross

You're on the right track. Acne scars can be improved with a combination of lasers, microneedling/prp, subcision, TCA cross, skin lightening and fillers. I recommend a formal consultation with an acne scarring expert. Best, Dr. Emer

PIH from acne in dark skin

If the topicals aren't working, I would try chemical peels. If those don't work, consider gentle laser treatment. Make sure the topicals included Retin A and hydroquinone. Higher strength hydroquinones can be formulated.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Chemical Peels and Laser Treatments May Help

Chemical peels and laser treatments may be able to remove the acne scars, but must be used carefully. Darker skin is difficult to treat with laser procedures, and can sometimes cause hyperpigmentation.

Eric Seiger, DO
Fenton Dermatologist

Acne scars

Thank you for your photo. Acne scars are treated differently depending on their appearance and structure. Sometimes there is no actual scar at all, but just a dark spot from inflammation which seems to play a larger role in your case. These spots usually improve on their own if you protect them and keep them out of the sun. In the meantime, to control the inflammation and acne breakouts, topical retin-a cream with intermittent salicylic acid combination peels can dramatically improve your skin tone and frequency of breakouts. Once the acne is controlled and you continue to do have remaining scars due to permanent dermal injury from acne, a variety of treatments can be performed to remodel the scar from energy-based lasers and radiofrequency devices to mechanical disruption of the scar with microneedling. Deep wide scars can be released and filled in with subcision and fillers and ice-pick (thin, deep) scars are best treated by excising them completely. For the best treatment options, it is important to visit an expert for an in-person examination but I feel you may have the SAFEST results with an initial chemical peel due to your genetics and skin type. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee MD, Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician