Am I overweight? How do I lose weight properly? (Photo)

Hi there. I'm an 18 year old female. I'm 5'7 and a little over 170 pounds. Like most teen girls I don't like how I look and feel a lot of emotional distress come from my weight. I exercise everyday for 30-60 minutes by walking/speed walking my dog at least 1 mile and try to eat healthy, but it seems like I keep adding weight on instead of getting it off. I'm getting to the point where I don't know what to do anymore. I don't want to starve myself and I don't want surgery. Any advice?

Dr. Results says...

Thank you for the inquiry!I am glad to hear that you are taking charge of your weight at such a young age! Through way of the Hamwi formula your ideal weight range (given your height and gender) should be between 127-159 pounds. This does not take into account frame size so the range is not an exact number to reach but more of an goal range. I recommend following a balanced diet rich in vegetables, nuts, protein, and nutrient dense snacks. Medical weight loss programs, such as the ones offered at my practice, could be beneficial for you so long as you follow your personalized plan to ensure the best results!

Best of luck

Do not despair

Hi, There are multiple reasons for weight gain. One of the ways to see if you have any under lying metabolic issues is to get some basic blood tests. you can get them at your doctor. please request them to check for thyroid function, insulin resistance.  if they are ruled out, then you need to review your life style. Life style involves multiple aspects-- Diet, what kind of Diet, how much , when you eat, what exercise  and how much you do, sleep, and stress.

if you start tracking above parameters, you will see if there are any issues you can correct. if still having problem you need to see a weight loss specialists  in your area. go to the ABOM website where board certified weight loss doctors are listed according to area and you can find some one who works with you.

Hope that helps

Srinivasu Kesa, MD
Indianapolis Internist

Track your calories and eat more protein

If you're having trouble keeping weight off, start tracking calories in (with an app like myfitnesspal) and calories out with a fitbit or something similar. A target of 15 percent below maintenance calories is usually an easy adjustment that produces long term weight loss painlessly. Eating more protein (at least half of your cals) keeps you from getting hungry.