How Can Someone Treat the Dark Circles Under Their Eyes?
Doctor Answers 15
Restylane for dark circles
Hi: This answer will only address the issue of dark circles. Puffiness, hollowness, etc. can be discussed in another reply.
Dark circles under the eyes (raccoon eyes) are mostly due to melanin pigmentation. Your degree of pigment is obviously genetic. Hence, many people who have this problem are of Afro-American, Caribbean, Mediterranean or Hispanic descent.
A second cause is vascular congestion. This is an area containing many, small blood vessels. In some people, these are congested, causing a somewhat purple discoloration. Rubbing the area under the eyes certainly worsens the situation. Thus, people with atopic dermatitis (eczema) often are burdened with this discoloration.
Any dermatologist can tell you that a hallmark of eczema are these "allergic shiners." Rubbing can also be precipitated by an allergic contact dermatitis. Patch testing by your dermatologist might be able to elicit an allergy. Avoidance of that allergan would certainly help.
As we age, we lose collagen in general. This area, whose skin is thin to start off with, suffers the most noticeably. I am not talking about laxity here, although that is true too. The thinness of the skin makes the blue-brown pigmentation under the skin look even more apparent.
What to do about this problem? Fillers are probably the best solution as far as cost and convenience. Restylane is the better choice here since it is a little less mobile and remains where it is placed better. Also, it gives less of a blue tinge than its competitor Juvederm.
IPL may help. The vascular-pigment application at wavelengths between 530-600 would give you a good benefit as would a laser. As far as eye creams for this problem, there are as many of these as excuses for the Cubbies not going to the World Series.
Most of these products contain the following ingredients: Vitamin K, green tea, Vitamin C (make sure it has ferulic acid - Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology Sept 2008 - as this creates a much more stable product), licorice (yeah, that's licorice... the good tasting stuff), hydroquinone, and kojic acid. There are, of course, other helpful ingredients.
Brands I like, in no particular order:
- RevaleSkin Eye Replenishing cream
- SkinCeuticals Eye Gel
- Neutrogena Radiance Boost Eye Cream
- Olay's Definity
- Hylexin (nervous about recommending the latter because they hype their product SO much.)
We did discuss this topic on our radio show. So feel free to call us on the show or email me.
Permanent effective removal of dark circles under eyes requires laser surgery
Blue and purple dark circles are usually caused by blood vessels and can be improved with IPL or Photofacial treatments.
Brown colored dark circles under eyes are usually pigment and can be treated with fractional ablative laser resurfacing.
The true deep depressed dark circle under the eye, which I call the arcus deformity is treated with a procedure called the laser arcus marginalis release with fat grafting.
Dark circles appear for more than one reason. The skin...
Dark circles appear for more than one reason.
- The skin of the eyelids is ofter darker than that of the rest of the face. As we age and our skin has less elasticity and sags, the difference between the eyelid skin and the upper cheek is more obvious.
- As we age and the skin gets thin, the network of blood vessels within the skin becomes more visible, making the area look dark or purplish.
- As the skin gets more thin, the "hollow" under the eyes appears or looks larger.
Therefore, I use a combination approach to treat the undereye area. Fillers, such as Restylane, plump up the skin and decrease the hollow appearance under the eye. Creams are used to firm the skin, increase collagen production, and lighten dark pigmentation.
There are few factors that create dark circle under the...
There are few factors that create dark circle under the eye. One must address all or some of these problems to fix the dark circles.
- Darker skin color: There many genetic and environmental factors creating darker skin color (hyper pigmentation) under the eye. Most of this hyper pigmentation can be treated with skin bleach (hydroquinone). It would take few months for the cream to work. For quicker fix one can do laser or chemical skin resurfacing (peels).
- Hollowness under the eyes: With age or genetic predisposition, some people get hollowness under the eye that creates a dark shadow. Fillers such as fat, radiesse , or restylane can fix the crease.
- Fat under the eye: Sometimes fatty bulges under the eye create shadow under the bulge creating dark circle. Fillers or traditional eyelid surgery could help with this problem.
- Allergy: Patients who suffer from allergy could get venous congestion under the eye creating dark circle. Seeing an allergist is the first step.
Management of lower eyelid circles
Cricles may be due to a variety of causes:
- Descent of cheek fat causing the groove under the eye to be more prominent
- Laxity of the lower eyelid structures allowing fat to bulge forward and cause lower eyelid fullness
- Hyperpigmentation (chloasma or mask or preganancy) associated with oral contraceptive use
- Thin skin allowing the underlying muscle to be more visiblle and create a bluish-purplish appearance
- Repeated irritation or inflammation with hyperpigmentation or depositiion of pigment in the skin
Depending on the cause the treatments may vary according the the above:
- Filling of the cheek groove or a midface/cheek lift
- Lower eyelid blepharoplasty
- Skin bleaching
- Retinoids or cosmetic camouflage
- Chemical peels or laser treatments
Dark circles under the eyes can be caused by two things:...
Dark circles under the eyes can be caused by two things: pigment deposits in the skin or shadows created from fat bulging from the lower eyelid. The treatment for each of these is different.
If pigment deposits are the problem, bleaching agents or skin resurfacing may be the answer. Skin resurfacing can take the form of deep chemical peels or ablative laser (such as CO2 or erbium) treatments.
If fat shadows are the problem, the solution is a lower blepharoplasty in which the fat of the lower eye is addressed. There are multiple approaches to the lower eyelid, including through skin incisions or possibly through incisions on the inside of the lower eyelid. The fat can then be repositioned over the bone of the eye socket (the orbital rim) or removed.
Treating dark under eye circles
Dark circles under the eyes- solutions.
In the US, we prefer Restylane in this area, however in Australia, Restylane and JUVEDERM VOLBELLA can be used. I do place the filler deep- namely on bone, this reduces the chances of a Tyndall effect (blue tinge).
Other ways to treat dark circles under the eyes include -
1. Treat any skin irritation - namely simplify your skin care regime- use a good eye cream
2. Low dose Q switch lasers
3, Microneedling and PRP
4. Low strength HQ creams.
Even with multiple treatment methods, dark circles can only be reduced, and not totally eliminated. Realistic expectations are crucial in treatment of this problem.
All the best
Dr Davin Lim
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
Treating Dark Circles Under Eyes
Dark circles can be hereditary and can be caused by allergies, exposure to the sun (the sun’s UV rays trigger the production of the skin pigment melanin—which can make this area look darker), and even excessive rubbing. We will assess your eye area and advise you on the most effective treatments to help even out this area’s skin tone. Our goal is to restore the eyes to their most natural, youthful beauty. We regularly do this with our patients through a variety of customized treatment options including:Fillers: Like Restylane, Juvederm, hyaluronic acid fillers, are used to add natural volume back to the sunken areas under the eyes.
Injectables: Like Botox and Dysport help immobilize the muscles that surround the eyes to prevent the skin from creasing—causing wrinkles.& IPL-This Intense Pulsed Light Laser pulls the pigmented color out from the skin to even out the skin tone and diminish the dark circles.