Blue light accelerates skin aging?

Blue light as you know is used for acne . A lot of studies recently are showing that blue light free radical formation decrease antioxidants in skin and accelerates aging . Are you surprised and do u think this will put an end of it as treatment as it ages you . I wonder if red 633nm will cause same issue as blue .

Blue light therapy...

Mike, Thank you for your question. I am aware of only 1 very small study (9 patients) out of Germany that shows a dose dependent decrease of carotenoids in human skin after exposure to blue-violet light after 1 and 2 hours.  Interestingly, the skin was able to repair the damage rather quickly between 1 and 24 hours.  PDT therapy with the 417nm Blu-u is typically only performed for 16 minutes and 40 seconds likely not enough time to induce free radical damage that is unrepairable.  As well, treatment times are decreasing with new protocols like short contact PDT, daylight PDT (no blue light at all!), etc.  The story is likely the same for red light.  A quick pubmed search shows no other studies besides the aforementioned. Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon