Quickest way to get rid of ice pick scarring?

Hi, I was wondering what's the quickest way to get rid of ice pick scarring. Thanks so much.

Ice Pick Scarring

Thank you for your question. Ideally the treatment of choice would be either TCA Cross hatch or punch excision for deeper ice pick scarring. Please be mindful that this leave behind a less noticeable surgical scar which will fade gradually over time.  Fractional CO2 can produce some improvement however the results can vary significantly between patients.

Ice Pick Acne Scarring treatment

100% TCA Cross Hatch is best for most ice pick scarring.  Punch excision for larger depressions also works well.  The combo of those can give great treatments. 

David J. Myers, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Quickest way to get rid of ice pick scarring.

Isolated ice pick scars are best treated with excision. This will leave a surgical scar which will eventually be less noticeable than an ice pick scar.

Multiple ice pick scars can be treated with an ablative laser like Erbium or CO2, but will not result in as much improvement as an incision.

TCA CROSS, punch excision

Ideally two methods, TCA CROSS or punch excision. Other than that, lasers are practically useless. Always target the scar type, and not just a procedure. I think you are on to it. Video explains. All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Brisbane. Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Ice Pick Scars and Best Treatment

A combination of fillers to add more volume such as Restylane, Bellafill, and Sculptra and lasers such as eMatrix, and Fraxel and TCA cross hatch are all the best treatments to use for these types of scars. It takes time for these acne scars to improve.  Best, Dr. Green

Ice Pick Scars

Thanks for your question. I always try to caution people when they want fastest results. Most people want fast results, but ideally we want the best results for the short and long term.

Deep ice pick scars can be filled with Bellafill or Sculptra. Collagen builds up and the whole is filler over the course of weeks. Quite often, ice pick scars aren't the only scars oresent. 

Fraxel or fractionated Laser is a standard, great treatment for acne scars. Best results are seen when you do in a series. 

Ice pick scarring remedy

I would use Infini for a few sessions. When completed, also consider TCA cross. Usually there are multiple scar types and that's why the Infini is recommended.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

RF Needling

A: Unfortunately there is no quick way to get rid of any scarring, period. Ice pick scarring is caused from a loss of collagen in the skin due to damage in the skin (most commonly from acne). One option to repair the skin is to help remodel skin collagen. Micro-Needling with Radio frequency needling is one of the best non-invasive treatments available. It uses a combination of controlled injury from the micro-needles and heat from the radio frequency to help repair and rebuild the skins collagen network. This treatment is minimally invasive with little to no downtime. Topical anaesthetic should be applied prior to each treatment.

Garry Cussell, MBBS
Sydney Physician